Ubuntu 18 recommended install setup/Sanity check

You could use NGINX, APACHE, HAProxy, Caddy, or Traefik

Thanks, ill research them and see if I can find something that works. I do admit i’m not fluent in all things linux so sorry if that was a dumb question

HUH? Do you have documentation on why you can’t do that?

Only from research when I’ve read of other peoples problems and that multicast traffic stops getting to Hass once the container is taken out of host mode which is needed for traefik to work.

I guess ill do some more research but i’ve been struggling to find guides that have what i’m after.

At the end of the day I just want Home assistant, Mosquitto, lets encrypt and a database for recorder on Ubuntu that will accept multicast traffic so I can work with my xiaomi hub - So if you do have any recommendations on what the right solution is, i’m open to them.

Since i’m not running anything else on the NUC maybe I should just not use docker at all.

Use docker. Just use the letsencrypt container. It has nginx built in and you can use it for reverse proxy.

Could you point me to any guide for the lets encrypt container?
I just want to make sure im on the right one

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/letsencrypt/

1 Like

I started using docker, and ended up concluding that the maturity of the HA project is too low too make sense of a docker install. You need to install specific versions of specific modules to make things work, and some of the modules need access to some of the hardware (bluetooth for example) which is not supported in docker.

My advice would be to to stick with a well documented setup where you register everything you do.

Security vice, this requires all the usual things…

@FletchNZ, I wrote this guide a few months ago, when I was in your same boat. Have a look, it may help out.

??

It’s absolutely supported in docker. I have access to my Bluetooth on my nuc through docker. Not sure where you got this info from.

Hmm, it sounds really awesome. Do you have the bluetooth/ble device trackers working inside docker?

Rgd the different versions, I am struggling with getting IKEA tradfri, all the device tracking and MQTT messaging to work, and only got it working by manually forcing different pip3 installs to make it work. Really cumbesome work. It could have been nice with a guide to “what parts of the project has been tested or not” kind of guide. I get many many error message in the error logs every minute for many parts of the setup. The IOS app is not working to me at all either, which could also have been nice.

Long story short: If you have bluetooth running nicely inside a docker container, with the 0.82.1 version of the project I must be a complete idiot - and that might have destroyed other parts of the setup.

Ups, and rgd where I have info about docker and bluetooth, here is a few that indicates problems related to HA - but I am not an expert, just trying to extract the conclusions. And it sure seems that you have found a way out.

Hi, I dont use bluetooth from the docker container. The only bluetooth component I use is happy-bubles, which I’ve installed directly on ubuntu and works fine.
Everything else is containerised and works without issues.
I would suggest you use docker compose and have a look at different compose yamls posted here.
I can share mine if you’d like

Bluetooth device tracking works just fine. If you’re not using --net=host it won’t work, since Bluetooth is part of the network stack.

1 Like

Thank you all for your replies. I’ve been furiously beating my head against this wall but I haven’t won yet.

I got as far as having Portainer, HomeAssistant, Mosquitto and Letsencrypt/Nginx container Installed. Lets encrypt sorted the certs once I fixed a missing DNS issue an i’ve set up the Nginx config but I can only get to home assistant on the IPAddress:8123. Portainer and MQTT was working fine and so was my Xiaomi gateway.

flamingm0e - I’ve been reading you Docker Compose file and I see you don’t have Nginx or the let encrypt container in there - Do you not use it? or install it separately? (Thanks for publishing it by the way, very helpful)

I’m going to start fresh, so bear with me i’m going to break it down simple.

1. Install ubuntu
  2. Install Docker
  3. Install Docker Compose
  4. install Letsencrypt/Nginx container?
  5. Setup lets encrypt and Nginx subsite configs
  6. Setup Stack in docker Compose to get Portainer, Mosquitto, hadockermon,Home assistant and node red
  7. Setup those configs

Thanks for this, I have already been using it but for what ever reason I cant get it to work. As above i’m going to do a fresh build and try again

You’re welcome! I am glad it is of a little use.

I use NGINX, installed on a VPS I already have for various other things, so it is not running in my local network, but on a VPS on Digital Ocean. As for Lets Encrypt, I still deal with that manually on my VPS, as I have had my setup on there for years and hate to tear it all down to replace it (it would be a lot of work).

Basically my setup is reverse proxy running on NGINX (and handles my certs) on my VPS, and my home firewall only allows traffic to my Home Assistant install from my public IP on my VPS (it’s a static IP). One day I will get around to performing either an SSH tunnel or a VPN between the VPS and my home network.

Ah ok, thanks for that. I’ve read too many different guides - some were installing lets encrypt outside of docker and I was wondering if that was what you had done.

So no problem putting the LetsEncrypt container in the docker compose file with the rest of the containers?

Should be no problem at all. If you use the linuxserver letsencrypt container it will run nginx and let’s encrypt for you. :wink:

Hi Guys,
im a bit stumped, lets encrypt and node red containers wont start cause something is using their ports

ERROR: for letsencrypt Cannot start service letsencrypt: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint letsencrypt (66acdfad8737d0259b89808b474dab50e0cb1b596c755e4265973835e31fb0e7): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:443: bind: address already in use

When I run netstat -tulpn I can see something using both those ports but not what. They are also IPV6 addresses but there isnt anything using the ports on IP4.

tcp6       0      0 :::1880                 :::*                    LISTEN      -
tcp6       0      0 :::443                  :::*                    LISTEN      -

Any idea what i’ve done wrong?

using netstat -ptln it shows docker-proxy is using the ports, ill keep digging.

Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.53:53           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      600/systemd-resolve
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      2347/sshd
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8123            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      2427/python
tcp6       0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN      1492/docker-proxy
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      2347/sshd
tcp6       0      0 :::1880                 :::*                    LISTEN      1505/docker-proxy
tcp6       0      0 :::443                  :::*                    LISTEN      1478/docker-proxy
tcp6       0      0 :::8126                 :::*                    LISTEN      1456/docker-proxy

Also for completeness this is my stack I am running

version: '3'
services:
  portainer:
    container_name: portainer
    image: portainer/portainer
    volumes:
      - /home/hass/svr/docker/portainer:/data
      - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock
    ports:
      - "9000:9000"
  homeassistant: