Ubuntu and Hass.io Update

Hi all,

New to Home Assistant or better Hass.io (and also Docker to be honest). So first many thanks for the great product. Really much enjoy Home Assistand (although takes some time to dig into it :slight_smile: ).

Got a question now obviously: I installed Hass.io on a spare notebook - havent had a RP3 lying around - installed the latest Ubuntu server on it and followed the instructions from https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/ for a generic installation which worked like a charm.

Now after 2 weeks, which is the release cycle of Hass.io I understand, I got an update notification for a new release. When following the update instructions from the notification it says there for a docker container run:

$ sudo docker pull homeassistant/home-assistant:latest

Which I did: Login as the main user of my Ubuntu machine and run that command. It loads for a while, runs through without any error. Rebooted my machine, to be on the safe side, can access the front end, but for some reason my installation does not get updated to the new release and stays on the installed version.

Pretty sure something is missing, but couldn’t figure out what yet. (And yes, browsed google, forums, aso…)

Appreciate any advise.

Cheers,
Joe

I would recommend you install and use Portainer to manage your Docker containers.

You most likely have the :latest tag on you previous container as well. I always find when updating to the latest version I use the version tag instead e.g. 0.88.0, instead of latest.

This is how I update my HA docker container.

sudo docker run -d --name="home-assistant-0.88.0" -v /home/homeassistant:/config -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro --net=host homeassistant/home-assistant:0.88.0

This part is what you want to name the container --name="home-assistant-0.88.0

This is the location of where your HA config files are stored -v /home/homeassistant:/config

and this is the docker file you are downloading --net=host homeassistant/home-assistant:0.88.0

If you’re using hassio it is easier to upgrade within the front-end - go to “Hass.io > System”. See documentation here.

Thanks a lot, both. Appreciated.

Thanks, michaelblight, that is indeed the easiest way to update hassio. Thanks for pointing it out. Missed that for some reason…