Ubuntu + Z-Wave (Z-Wave.Me – UZB (Gen 5))

Hi!

I am about to move from my old RPi2 o an HP SFF Prodesk i3 machine because performance and SD-card-issues…

Can you pleace advice me…

I have installed:
Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
Docker
Followed: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/docker/
Went for Docker-compose. And the documentation regarding the “Exposing device”. But I’m not able to add the Z-Wave service in HA… USB location seems to be wrong…

$ ls -1tr /dev/tty*|tail -n 1
gives me:
/dev/tty

This seems to be faulty? or?..

my docker-compose.yml:
version: ‘3’
services:
homeassistant:
container_name: home-assistant
image: homeassistant/home-assistant
volumes:
- /home/sam/homeassistant:/config
- /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
devices:
- /dev/tty:/dev/tty
restart: always
network_mode: host

When I add a z-wave service I enter: /dev/tty and the secret network key. It succeded!

I restart Home Assistant from the Server Management, and also with docker-compose restart.

If I try to do a Add Node Secure command, I get:
Failed to call service zwave/add_node_secure. Service not found.

It seems that the USB communications is not ok anyways…
Where shall I start to look?

At my old RPi2 i had no docker… and this path:
zwave:
usb_path: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00

But if I use that at this machine i get “Z-Wave validation failed. Is the path to the USB stick correct?”, when I try to add the integration Z-Wave.

Please advice me…! :slight_smile:

Start by telling us the truth. you could not have followed your link using docker run and also used docker-compose. They are 2 different commands with different configuration files, etc.

docker run pulls down the officially built Docker image from hub.docker.com.
docker-compose could be used to build your own image.

I am in the midst of setting up z-wave, but had issues setting up my RFXcom, and my solution was to add a line in my docker-compose to point to my /dev/serial/by-id/ … you may want to add this to your volumes; as well … see the last line below.

- /dev/bus/usb:/dev/bus/usb
  - /var/run/dbus:/var/run/dbus 
  - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
  - /dev/serial/by-id/:/dev/serial/by-id/

Ok, sorry for mixing up docker and docker-compose here… I skip the docker-compose. Removed the docker-container and recreated it with:

docker run --restart always -d --name="homeassistant" -v /home/sam/homeassistant:/config --device=/dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00 -e TZ=Europe/Stockholm --net=host homeassistant/home-assistant

I can access the web UI, and added the integration by the /dev/serial/by-id…, and my “old” key. Restarted, and I got some Z-wave devices showing up in the UI now… :slight_smile:

What is the best way to switch from SQLite, is it to go to MySQL or PostgreSQL?

Try this but dockerize it?

I’ll check it out…

Im new to Docker virtualization…
I have checked Portainer as it have a Web UI. docker-compose seems to have nice yml… :slight_smile:
What do you guys reccomend?

According to this:

https://hub.docker.com/_/mariadb

You should be able to run an official MariaDB image. Be sure to read their instructions. I am not sure how that relates to using Portainer though.