UI Created Sensor - how to add yaml config?

I created a utility meter with tarriffs, but they are resetting at midnight and I’d like to configure a different reset time. Since I created these in the UI, and I cannot find any such reset time setting option in the UI, is there a way to access the yaml file where these are created and add in the extra items/configuration entries I need? I have a configuration.yaml file in the directory of my home assistant docker container but it doesn’t show the helpers or anything I made in the gui.

Hello jfharper,

Click here in the UI editor…

I cannot find that…which page is that under? All I see is application credentials when I click the three dots.

The 3 dots on the ui editor page.

OPen the automation in the editor, click the 3 dots, edit as YAML.

OK, thank you, I see edit in yaml for an automation. But what about the Utility Meter Integration I have setup in the Helpers…I would like to add some reset/offset or cron stuff (whatever makes it reset at a different time other than midnight) and on the doc page it says I need to add some yaml stuff, but I cannot find how to do that.

Under Manual Configuration Steps, I created a meter with 2 tarriffs, now I have three meters, the orig and two tarrifs. I’d like to add some yaml stuff, namely, cycle, reset or cron, but I need to access the meters in yaml to do this. I’d rather not start from stratch because I already have data recorded.

Helpers created via the UI have their configuration stored in various JSON files within a hidden directory and are not meant to be manually edited.

Originally, all helpers were configured exclusively via YAML. Over time, many can now be configured via the UI … but often lack all the features available in YAML.

So if you see a feature in the documentation but it doesn’t exist in the UI, then it’s not supported. In that case, you will have to configure a new entity using YAML (i.e. to replace the one that had been created via the UI). Unfortunately this means the helper entity’s history will be lost.

1 Like

bummer…I think I’ll just create my stuff in yaml from now on, but I’m stuggling to figure out how it should be written/organized. Specifically, I like the thought of using !includes to organize, but when I copy/paste yaml sinippet it work in configuration.yaml, but not the !include file…trying to figure how the includes should be written is the struggle

FWIW, I started usjng Home Assistant long before the transition to UI-based configuration so most everything is in YAML. Especially automations and scripts because I can include comments.

I suggest you review this section of the documentation:

Splitting up the configuration

1 Like

One thing to remember is that when you define something in the configuration file, you’re calling out the domain with the config. E.g.

sensor:
  - stuff

Where your include would be:

sensor: !include sensors.yaml

Since the domain is already declared, you wouldn’t have that line in the !include file. Note how the switches are defined below.

Here’s a sensor.yaml that’s part of the inclusions:

Note how ‘sensor’ is not called out…just the platform.

1 Like

You may be interesting in voting on this :wink:

1 Like