UI design challenge for motion lights

I’d love to hear your creative ideas for a simple UI (e.g. minimalistic, tile, mushroom, bubble etc.) for lights/switches that can be turned on/off either manually or by motion (I’ll call them Motion Lights).

Motion Lights have different “states” compared to simply on/off.

• Locked-Off: Off and will not be triggered by motion.
  • Soft-Off: Off and will be triggered by motion.
  • Locked-On: On manually and will not be automatically turned off.
  • Soft-On: On because of motion and will be automatically turned off.

Each Motion Light has an associated input_boolean. When the input_boolean turns OFF, the light is Locked-Off. When the input_boolean turns ON, the light is Soft-Off.

So what’s the most elegant way to display and allow users to set those states with a simple, compact UI?

Additional Considerations:

I’m hoping to come up with something that is useful for a lot of people.

Of course, lights might also include brightness or color controls, or those could be accessed through a popup.

Also, it would be nice if a “Motion Light” could actually be a group of lights/switches. The UI could default to controlling the group, but allow someone to expand the group for individual control.

FWIW, each input_boolean has an associated timer which determines how long the light stays on. I’ll publish the automations when the UI is sorted out.

Am I missing anything?

Hi Richard, that’s quite a challenge you have there!

If you’re missing something, I don’t know if, and how, anyone can come with a solution.
I’m curious for the answers!

The first part, with the 4 different states can be achieved - I think - with a helper that changes with a custom button card and which icons represent the current state.
I have seen something a few days ago but can’t remember/find it now.

I think so far, that might be the easy part but the rest… :thinking:
I’ll keep an eye on this!