UK Envionment Agency - Near Realtime Rainfall Monitor

I’d like to see some integration available to Home Assistant for the UK Envoronmental Agency - Near-real-time Rainfall API.

The Current HA Environmental Agency integration provides flood management data in the form of water level heights for rivers etc. The new BETA from UK EA provides RAINFALL data from a variety of other monitoring stations not involved in flood warning.

Further info: Just launched: Near-real-time Rainfall API - Defra digital

Environment Agency Rainfall API: Rainfall API reference

As the UK Met Office does not appear to offer rainfall measuremnts but only the % forecasts of likely rainfall, the EA offering provides near real time actual measurement which can be more useful.

I throw this out to the HA community and welcome any interest it may garner, and hopefully someone will be able to cook up a working integration with HA. As an afterthought perhaps its rainfall feature could be merged into the existing EA integration offered with HA?

Just had a look and can easily get a value for a station with a REST sensor:

- platform: rest
  resource: https://environment.data.gov.uk/flood-monitoring/id/stations/E45871/measures
  scan_interval: 600
  name: Rainfall Today
  value_template: "{{ value_json['items'][0]['latestReading']['value'] }}"
  json_attributes_path: "$['items'][0]['latestReading']"
  json_attributes:
    - dateTime
    - stationReference

I installed this in my configuration file and it’s working.You made it look easy.

The inclusion of the rainfall reading within the UK EA HA flood monitoring integration seems so obvious that I’d still push for it to be added.

What do you think?

It took me a little while to figure it out
Yes, good idea, seems fit with the flood integration.

I used a station near me and if you look at the API you can scan for stations at a coordinate with a radius. You can also use a date range and get a map showing rainfall. Quite useful.

I’ve seen the maps. and also the locations of stations. Where I am the nearest EA station is 5+ miles away, however I know that my local council have many more stations around where I live, so its surprising not to see these all integrated on a national basis.

Seems that this is “Latest Reading” not “Rainfall Today”.

Would it be possible to sum these readings for the current day and show a true “Rainfall Today”

Thanks