Ultrasonic Sensor JSN-SR04T : Unable to find proper configuration

Hello,

I’m having issues with an ultrasonic sensor, I already read a lot of contents in both this forum and external websites but I’m still having problem with it.

I bought a JSN-SR04T ultrasonic sensor which I want to use to measure the capacity of my external water tank. As board I’m using nodeMCU with ESP8266.

I connected trigger sensor to D1 and echo sensor to D2.
This is my code at the moment

esphome:
  name: cisterna_meter

esp8266:
  board: nodemcu

# Enable logging
logger:

sensor:
  - platform: ultrasonic
    trigger_pin:
      number: D1
      #inverted: true
    echo_pin:
      number: D2
    name: "Water Tank Level"
    unit_of_measurement: "cm"
    accuracy_decimals: 2
    update_interval: 1s
    timeout: 9.0m
    #pulse_time: 10us
    filters:
    - filter_out: nan

I had to put a huge timeout value in order to make it work. Based on sensor seller, the sensor has a capacity up to 4.5m, so at first I set 4.5m as timeout. And with this, the sensor was timing out precisely at 2.40m, so the measure was fine until 2.39m.

I tried different values of timeout value and with the provided configuration it can read up to 3.5 meters, even if in this configuration I also getting warnings

[21:26:42][W][component:214]: Component ultrasonic.sensor took a long time for an operation (0.05 s).
[21:26:42][W][component:215]: Components should block for at most 20-30ms.

I saw the potentiometer on the board but I read that this should not be touched as it it used to change the frequency of the sound wave, so I did not touch it.

There is something I’m missing for sure, the timeout value is not respected (if I set 4.5m as the manufacturer indication, why it goes in timeout at 2.40m?).

I’m creating this post to ask you for help on this because I already spent few hours on this on several tests but I’m still not getting a consistent value.

These are the website I already used to try to fix the problem, but unfortunately with no success:

Thank you for your help

Any luck solving the issue?