Unable to add Fibaro multi sensor [solved]

Thanks to some helpful advice I have taken the plunge and moved from a docker image to a Raspberry Pi 3. I used the all in one installer which seems to have worked perfectly so have now added a z-wave ZME_UZB1 stick this one and planned to use a Fibaro FGMS-001-ZW5 sensor.

I can run the OZWCP and initialise the USB stick, and as far as I can see there are no errors in the log. However when I try to add the fibaro with either option (secure or normal), it seems to just sit there waiting - OZWCP comes up with “Add device: waiting for a user action”

I have tried triple clicking the button on the Fibaro as per the instructions and the light changes to a low blue, I have tried right next to the Pi and from a few meters away but no matter what I do, the two devices don’t seem to see each other.

I am running out of ideas but can see that others have managed to get the Fibaro working and was wondering I have missed something really simple?!

Progress so far.

I think I am almost there now.

I had to reset the Fibaro device (holding down the button for 6 seconds) and then rebooted everything and went through the add secure device process it has appeared in OZWCP :slight_smile:

The only problem now is it just appears to be sleeping according to OZWCP but the device itself is still flashing lights etc.

Home Assistant still only can see the zwave stick and not the fibaro sensor though. I am sure I read somewhere that I had to copy / link a config file…?

Bit more reading and research to do… I didn’t realise Zwave would be this tricky (but addictive)

Did you add below to your configuration.yaml? This one is for the All in one installler. There is also something that keeps the needed files in sync between OZW and homassistant.

zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0
  config_path: /srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/libopenzwave-0.3.1-py3.4-linux-armv7l.egg/config

By the way when adding a battery operated zwave device there might be some configuration needed of the zwave device. You need to do this when in OZWCP. Often you need to wake up the device by pressing the button on the device again to make sure it persists. Search the forum for more info on this as many have gone before you…

Hi and thanks for the advice.

My configuration.yaml did have the entry as you suggested but your comments about the battery device might have been it.

I went back into OZWCP and after initialising, triple clicked the B button on the Fibaro unit which woke it up and suddenly things started to happen and I could configure a number of options that previously were not available.

I then saved and exited, copied the zwcfg_xxxx.xml to my /home/hass/.homeassistant directory, rebooted and…it works :smile:

Now to figure out how to make it do stuff!

This might sound a silly question but I am not sure now how to turn the fibaro on!

I have added it and followed this post to make sure the new version is recognised.

Home assistant can see it and all the sensors as can OZWCP but all the readings are 0 and the value in OZWCP is shown as ‘off’. I have seen screen shots of other peoples settings in the forum and theirs are shown as ‘on’.

There is a dropdown box under Current Values for he sensor but it is shown as ‘off’ and is greyed out so I am unable to change it to ‘on’.

I feel like I am so close!

You should see ‘live’ changes in the hass interface6. Like motion on when it sees movement.

You might need to check in Ozwcp that reports are set to binary instead of basic.

I also never had success with adding something as a secure device in Ozwcp but never took the time to look into this.

After a lot of trial and error it seems that my issues were with adding the fibaro as a secure device. Although both systems (ozwcp and ha) could see it, it was not providing any readings.

I removed and re added it as a non secure device and I am getting live readings for ‘Burglar’ (8 or 3 as per the previous linked post), luminance and temperature. There are a few other sensors on my dashboard but they all seem to be 0 and I have not figured what they should be (one I think is seismic activity which in the hills outside of Manchester, UK hopefully won’t ever register!) .

I have successfully managed to create an automation to turn on a light when movement is detected which is what I was after from the start.

Thanks for the help along the way Tyfoon - I will now mark this as solved.