Unable to add Tapo L535 bulb using Matter

I have two Tapo L535 bulbs made by TP-Link. I was able to add them to HomeKit using Matter. I tried adding them to HA as well using the Matter add-on. The prompts correctly identified the bulb in pairing mode, pasted the new code provided by HomeKit, stated “connecting”, then stated “setting up”, in the background, HomeKit shows notification that this device was added to another Matter service, then the prompt displayed an error “Unable to Add Accessory, You may need to restart your accessory before you can add it to your home.”

Troubleshooting attempts:

• Power cycling the bulbs, tried to add to HA again. No effect.

• Removed bulbs from all hubs, factory reset, added to HomeKit again, tried to add to HA again. No effect.

• Removed bulbs again, tried adding to HA first. Not able to pair: stated “connecting”, then stated “setting up”, in the background, then the prompt displayed an error “Unable to Add Accessory.”

• Waited a few days with some HA software updates, HA Core restarts, and power cycle (unrelated). Tried initial method again, no effect.

I have three other devices connected to HA using Matter from HomeKit, but under they use Thread.

Tried running the debug logs on the Matter add-on, but I could not identify the relevant entries.

Please help! I know I missed some details some may need for troubleshooting so please ask and I shall reply.

Thanks in advance.

I was also interesting in purchasing some of the L535E bulbs as having HomeKit support is a plus (for me) over the L530 model. Have you tried using the Tapo integration from HACS? It doesn’t state that it’s supported, but the the L530 model is. Link to integration: GitHub - petretiandrea/home-assistant-tapo-p100: A custom integration to control Tapo devices from home assistant.

@AndyRaphael I just tired the integration. Doesn’t look like it worked. I entered the IP address of the bulb and my TP-Link login (kind of sketchy actually, especially since my account uses 2FA by default) and it just sat there loading for eternity. I ended up removing the Tapo integration (and changing my TP-Link password).

I’ve tried a handful more times to get the bulb into HA using Matter but still no success.

I just got a L535E light and was able to link it as a Matter device to my Home Assistant. The QR code did not work for me:

• reading the Matter QR code on the package added the device but controlling it didn’t do anything
  • copying the code from the Tapo app I got an error pairing it (same as above)

What worked for me was clicking More options and clicking on the device that was suggested on the screen (Smart Multicolor Bulb).

Some context

• I’m on iPhone, iOS 16.6.1
  • Before adding the device to Home Assistant I first added it to the Tapo app
  • Bulb firmware is 1.0.8 Build 230810 Rel. 140202
1 Like

I spoke too soon: the light keeps disconnecting within a day or so. Not sure what is causing it. Restarting home assistant helped yesterday. Matter server spits out the following logs:

2024-01-30 08:21:30 core-matter-server chip.DIS[126] ERROR Timeout waiting for mDNS resolution. 2024-01-30 08:21:44 core-matter-server chip.DIS[126] ERROR OperationalSessionSetup[1:0000000000000002]: operational discovery failed: src/lib/address_resolve/AddressResolve_DefaultImpl.cpp:119: CHIP Error 0x00000032: Timeout 2024-01-30 08:21:44 core-matter-server chip.DMG[126] ERROR Failed to establish CASE for re-subscription with error 'src/lib/address_resolve/AddressResolve_DefaultImpl.cpp:119: CHIP Error 0x00000032: Timeout' 2024-01-30 08:21:44 core-matter-server matter_server.server.device_controller.[node 2][126] INFO Previous subscription failed with Error: 50, re-subscribing in 6018 ms... 2024-01-30 08:22:19 core-matter-server chip.DIS[126] ERROR Timeout waiting for mDNS resolution.

Quick update: I’m still experiencing disconnection issues when using L535 via Matter. This happens on both Home Assistant as well as when using the bulbs on HomeKit via Apple Home.

The bulbs frequently disconnect for a few seconds and then after a few hours that go completely offline. Only restarting the bulb helps.

I have 3 bulbs and am troubleshooting this currently with TP-Link team. Stay tuned.

For now, I setup the bulbs via Tapo integration (not via Matter) and this seems to work - although the color changing is not as smooth (flashing different colors when turning on with a specific color).

FWIW - I’m running two L535E bulbs via Matter (latest updates) with no issues. I noticed the Tapo integration now supports them as well, but haven’t switched. I’m assuming there isn’t any reason I would, so long as Matter is running stable for me.

Hi @mattxc

I ran into similar issue, however was able to resolve it by following the below Steps. Unfortunately it was not straight forward and you will need the TP Link Tapo for 5 mins.

1. Add the Bulb to the Tapo App (I know we don’t like this.)
  2. As soon as it is added and you confirm that it is connected, REMOVE it from the Tapo App. The Bulb will go into pairing mode.
  3. Connect it using matter on Home Assistant Companion App, with in 10 seconds of the bulbs going into Pairing Mode.

It will connect. I tried this using both Android and IOS and tried this multiple times.

I am not sure why this is the case but it gets connected Natively only this way.

Hope this helps you!

2 Likes

Just set up my first L535 with Matter. Ran into an issue where I didn’t know the code I needed. Set it up with the Tapo app and navigated to where it will give you a 3d barcode with code at bottom. It went fairly easy from there.

I want to get away from needing the cloud for daily operation.