Unable to boot after upgrade to HAOS 12.2

Hi,

I just upgraded HAOS to 12.2 from home assistant and after upgrading, it won’t boot anymore.

It shows an error at the GRUB menu :
error: cannot load image

It shows the SAME error when i try both SLOT A and SLOT B.

Question: At this point, how can i downgrade to 12.1 without loosing my config?

I run HAOS on X86-64 hardware, N2800NT motherboard.

Thank you

I suspect your only option will be to restore from backup.

How do i do that?

Where is the latest backup file is located on the partitions? Before i upgraded to 12.2?

So you have not been copying your backups off the system?

There is some info here: How to access the Backup Files via SD Card - #6 by zymotik

The problem is also reported here:

1 Like

indeed and there is also an issue open in GitHub in which you can fins info on how to boot back (using 12.1 UEFI file) be it in 12.1 or 12.2

it’s a grub issue. so by using the efi file from 12.1 the system will boot, whatever the version of the underlying OS (well at least that’s true now for 12.1/12.2 :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I cannot even reinstall HAOS. Tried putting my SSD in my ubuntu pc and restoring the 12.1 image as described here : (Generic x86-64 - Home Assistant)

Also tried the following command :

efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --label “HAOS”
–loader ‘\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi’

Still won’t boot, it has the SAME ERROR : Cannot load image

I don’t know what to try anymore…

I found the solution… I got rid of HAOS

Installed Alpine linux on my server and run the home assistant docker instead… I was able to get 99% of my config back.

Thanks for nothing HAOS!

yeah I almost did that, i have not ruled it out altogether yet :slight_smile:
restore is not necessary, you need to :

• boot a live linux (ubuntu, arch , …)
  • mount your EFI partition from the existing HA OS disk
  • mount the EFI partition of a new HAOS 12.1 img
  • copy the .efi files from the 12.1 EFI partition to you overwrite those on the exisiting disk EFI partition
  • unmount everything
  • reboot

backup/restore has nothing to do with it, unless you start a new install of course. That being said, on the same hardware you probably won’t boot either
Docker does not need to boot , so that works :smiley:

I tried to copy the efi file from 12.1 and 11.5 also. Did not work either.

Anyway, i gave up on HAOS to preserve my sanity and also my keyboard health :grinning:

This very much sounds like (x86_64) HA OS doesn't boot when updating from 12.1 to 12.2 · Issue #3305 · home-assistant/operating-system · GitHub. You can find the older working GRUB 2.06 binaries in this comment.

This is a regression introduced in upstream GRUB 2.12 release. You might run into the same problem with other Linux distributions as well, once they update to GRUB 2.12.

However, we do work with upstream GRUB2 developers to resolve the problem upstream. So ultimately the whole Linux community will benefit from our effort.

1 Like