Unable to configure Plex

Here is a screenshot of the output

That looks correct, can you post what’s in your plex.conf file redacting your token of course.

sorry am kind of a noob on this stuff. Where do I find that?

am running Hass.io on Ubuntu if that helps you point me in the right direction.

Hi @firstof9
Thanks for help. What do you mean “Try this command from your Home Assistant Device”
How do I do this?

I have Hassio on Pi - Running Plex server on this iMac and use this iMac to access Pi from Samba
Cheers

You should be able to use the SSH addon to SSH into HassIO and run the command.

plex.conf should be in your configuration directory with your home assistant config files.

Not seeing a plex.conf think am looking in correct place because I do see an ecobee.conf file along with configuration.yaml and other files

Ok well you can create one then, this’ll fix your issue for you.

Here’s the format:

{
    "PLEX_IP:32400": {
        "ssl": false,
        "token": "YOUR_TOEKEN_HERE",
        "verify": false
    }
}

just save it as plex.conf and you should be good to go.

thanks that appears to have worked.

1 Like

Hi @firstof9
I finally managed to SSH into my hassio
Entered the command line and I am getting this

Connecting to 192.168.1.200:32400 (192.168.1.200:32400)
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized

I am in this folder core-ssh:/config# however not sure how to view files - I am not a SSH user as I am sure you have noticed. How do I see if I have a Plex.conf file?
Cheers again for help

@firstof9
I found the list of files and no I do not have Plex.config. Added the file and it did not work
I am getting this under developer tools - Host 122.58.111.138 is not available
Seems it is looking for the outside host as I am sharing my Plex connection as I have a Plex pass
Not sure what to do next sorry?

@brucys Your error is different than sonynut’s your’s is a permissions issue.
You need to make sure you have claimed your media server, review this thread:

Hi Again
I have downloaed the logs, how do I get them to you to look at? It is a Zip file 2.3mb in size
It is still not working

Pastebin should be an ok place to upload your logs, just redact your API key or any passwords in the logs.

The log downloaded as multiple files in a zip file. I will go through the logs and then send to Pastebin
cheers

I’m also getting this problem and none of the advice here has worked, sadly.

The claim token has a lifetime of 4 minutes by the time that’s saved into plex.conf and hass.io is rebooted it’s invalid. For me, it wouldn’t have mattered though because checking from the command line using wget said it was invalid from the start. It’s possible that because Plex is running on a remote server, in docker, that this is causing an issue (but of course I can access it fine via TV/browser etc).

In the end I did the old school method of extracting the X-Plex-Token from Chrome, putting that into plex.conf and rebooting hass.io. This works, however I am seeing multiple Plex panels on the homepage for each person using the server. I’m not sure if that’s normal or not…

I’ve had this issue twice when I’ve made major changes to my home assistant or network.

This is whats worked for me to solve the issue.

First things to do is log into your plex via the web: https://app.plex.tv
Head to Account -> Authorised Devices -> If you have a previous/old installation of Home Assistant listed, remove it.
Then head to Settings -> Network -> List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth = add the IP of your Home Assistant.
Restart your Plex Server.

Edit/create your plex.conf file with a fresh token, then restart your Home Assistant & it should all be working as it should.

3 Likes

Crosspost from https://community.home-assistant.io/t/error-when-configuring-plex-server/124400:
I’ve made some changes to the Plex component for the upcoming 0.100 release that will automate most of the setup if your server has been “claimed” by a Plex account. If there’s anyone willing to test the new functionality in the 0.100b that comes out tomorrow (Wednesday, Oct 2), I’d love to get feedback before the official release a week later.

This worked for me. Thank you!

1 Like