Unable to connect: Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.39:8123

A couple of years ago I installed HA in a docker container on a Raspberry Pi 3. It ran OK until about last Christmas when an update broke it. I gave up on it since then, but have now come back to it.

I can SSH into the Pi and I can get the Home Assistant Observer on http://192.168.1.39:4357. The Observer shows that it’s Connected, Supported and Healthy.

I’ve poked around at it with trepidation and am now appealing for help, please!

(It looks like there is a much easier way to install HA with ‘pip’, but I’d rather recover my existing installation than start again and reconfigure.)

Jim

not possible to retrieve a backup, and then do a fresh install?

I tried that to no avail when it went down early in the year.

Thanks for the reply, ‘aceindy’.

Jim

As i see from your story, the installation is not critical. Why not just start again from scratch with never version?

I don’t really want to go through all the hassle of configuring all my devices, if there a quick fix for my existing installation.

Jim

Do you have yaml files? Post your configuration.yaml file.

You could try to extract the \config.storage folder (it’s hidden), including all (hidden) files straight from SD card (or SSD), as well as yaml’s from \config
Then copy it to a new installation (using a new SD card) and see what happens.

In case you use zigbee2mqtt, also copy \share\zigbee2mqtt folder

If you can SSH to it, then maybe a manual update to newest version could solve it.

I just did a ha core update but it executed suspiciously quickly, which leads me to suspect that nothing happened.

I did ha core check and got:
Post "http://supervisor/core/check": context deadline exceeded (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers)
which doesn’t look good!

(In parallel I thought that I’d do a new install of Raspberry Pi Lite on a fresh card, but the latest version doesn’t accept the user pi login raspberry credentials! Maybe things have changed since my first install a couple of years ago!)

Jim

Try to do a “ha resolution info” to see if DNS lookup works correctly

ha resolution info
checks:
- enabled: true
  slug: dns_server_ipv6_error
  slug: supervisor_trust
  slug: addon_pwned
  slug: free_space
  slug: dns_server_failure
  slug: core_security
issues: []
suggestions: []
unhealthy: []
unsupported: []

Not sure how significant addon_pwned is!

Jim

What is important is that there is no issues listed, so DNS is fine.

But it looks like your supervisor is not responding, so try a ha supervisor update

~ $ ha supervisor update
Processing... Done.

Error: No supervisor update available - 2022.08.3

The Home Assistant Observer at http://192.168.1.39:4357/ reports that:

Supervisor: 	Connected
Supported: 	Supported
Healthy: 	Healthy 

Many thanks for your continuing advice ‘Wally’, I really appreciate it. At my age (83) my brain cells aren’t quite as agile as they used to be, and certainly not as agile as yours!

Jim

With computers agile thinking is not that important.
Lucky guesses often seems like best bet. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Can you connect a screen to the pi, so you can see the output of the startup.

1 Like

I tried connecting a screen, but the boot process showed no errors.
I did a ha core check and it showed some errors:

~ $ ha core check
Processing... Done.

Error: Testing configuration at /config
INFO:homeassistant.helpers.storage:Migrating core.device_registry storage from 1.2 to 1.3
INFO:homeassistant.helpers.storage:Migrating core.entity_registry storage from 1.4 to 1.7
Fatal error while loading config: 'null' is not a valid RegistryEntryDisabler
Failed config
  General Errors: 
    - 'null' is not a valid RegistryEntryDisabler

Successful config (partial)

I’ll have a look at the core config files, but tread very carefully!
Jim

I’ve checked the logs (should have done so first!).

Looks like this is the problem. How I can fix it I don’t know (I hate Python and yamyl files anyway - I can’t get used to the indentation and much prefer curly brackets!).

2022-08-24 15:17:09 ERROR (MainThread) [root] Uncaught exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/runpy.py", line 197, in _run_module_as_main
    return _run_code(code, main_globals, None,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/__main__.py", line 331, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/__main__.py", line 318, in main
    exit_code = runner.run(runtime_conf)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/runner.py", line 121, in run
    return loop.run_until_complete(setup_and_run_hass(runtime_config))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/asyncio/base_events.py", line 642, in run_until_complete
    return future.result()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/runner.py", line 103, in setup_and_run_hass
    hass = await bootstrap.async_setup_hass(runtime_config)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/bootstrap.py", line 131, in async_setup_hass
    await async_from_config_dict(config_dict, hass) is not None
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/bootstrap.py", line 241, in async_from_config_dict
    await _async_set_up_integrations(hass, config)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/bootstrap.py", line 534, in _async_set_up_integrations
    await asyncio.gather(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_registry.py", line 709, in async_load
    await hass.data[DATA_REGISTRY].async_load()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_registry.py", line 626, in async_load
    disabled_by=RegistryEntryDisabler(entity["disabled_by"])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/enum.py", line 384, in __call__
    return cls.__new__(cls, value)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/enum.py", line 702, in __new__
    raise ve_exc
ValueError: 'null' is not a valid RegistryEntryDisabler
(END)

Jim

don’t have real clue, but i suspect it’s one of your integrations:

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/bootstrap.py", line 534, in _async_set_up_integrations
    await asyncio.gather

Your story is that you have an existing HA installation which broke years ago and hasn’t been touched or updated since then. The odds of there being a quick fix are non-existent. Even if it was working years ago just trying to go through that many updates at one time is going to involve a ton of work dealing with all the breaking changes.

On the flip side, there have been so many improvements to the setup and discovery processes in the past few years its hard to count them all. So many integrations are UI-configurable now they can be set up in a few steps. And many common ones support discovery now which generally means they can be set up with a single click of a button.

The logs your sharing do not suggest an easy fix. And likely once you fix whatever you’re seeing you’ll find more. Since you have a backup I would really suggest just doing a fresh install and trying to set it up again. If you find that is really difficult you can always restore your backup and pick up this process where you left off.

EDIT: I should also note backups are simple tar files. So if there is a particular part of your config you want to keep (like your automations or a dashboard) you can still preserve that in a new installation without restoring the whole thing. Just extract the tar file and pull out the YAML you want to save then paste it into your new config.

Thanks Mike, I’m beginning to come round to your suggestion. I’ll start again with a new installation.

Thanks to everyone who helped, particularly ‘Wally’ and ‘aceindy’.

Jim

1 Like