Unable to find devices on HA running on virtualbox

Hi, I’m new to HA, I’ve just setup HA via on a VB instance.
I am trying to figure out how I can add a zigbee hub(sonoff zigbee 3.0 usb dongle) to HA.
I’ve watched a video where the person mentioned to go to “Add ons; backups and supervisor”, and then to “SYSTEM”, however my HA doesn’t have a “system” tab.
Please assist.
Thank you

HOW TO - Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 Dongle Plus in Home Assistant (Flash, Update, Zigbeemqtt & MQTT Broker) - YouTube <------- I watched this video

Did you create a USB filter in vBox to pass the stick to HA.

System is under Settings.

I just added the package and know know how to add the device, I have not received my zigbee hub just yet, still waiting for it in the mail.
Thanks RJ for the response, I will keep you updated once I receive the dongle.
Trying to integrate all my different xiaomi devices, both China/global versions.
Cheers,
Ash

With the dongle.
Start the VM and home assistant
Add the dongle to a usb port
In the Virtualbox USB settings, add the dongle.
Remove the dongle from the usb port. Take note of what port
Shut down the VM
Inset the dongle back into the SAME usb port
Start the VM and home assistant.
You should be able to see the dongle in the home assistant hardware list.

Hi, thanks everyone, managed to get everything working ! Much appreciated

1 Like

Hi,
I have added the Sonoff ZigBee 3 plus dongle under the Virtualbox USB settings and restarted and HA does see the dongle and all is working as expected.

My problem is that I have set my machine to restart unattended after a power failure but when I do proper soft shutdowns and then reboot the host Windows computer, after everything has restarted HA can no longer see the ZigBee dongle. I can restore it simply by unplugging and replugging the dongle, but that defeats the “unattended” objective.

Any ideas why the dongle is not available after a full reboot, and how to resolve? Do I need to use task scheduler to initiate a USB reset after some startup delay?

I also find this odd because I upgraded to the Sonoff from one of the generic CC2531 dongles and it would show up in HA after a full windows host reboot with no intervention.
Any help greatly appreciated

Did you set up a filter in the Ports tab of the VM settings?

Is the USB device visible to the host after a reboot? (check usbview.exe or the device manageR)

If you need to reinit the device or the bus you can use devcon.exe

Thanks for the response.

I did not set up a filter under the Serial Ports tab. If I open the Serial Ports tab in VM settings everything on the right hand side is grayed out. There are no settings to change. I did set up the filter under the USB tab for the Sonoff dongle.

Immediately after a reboot the Dongle shows up as Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus in Windows Device Manager under Other Devices. As soon as I unplug and plug it back in that goes away and there is a new entry under USB Controllers called VirtualBox USB,

And also, if I open the ttyUSB0 device in Home Assistant, Settings, System, Hardware I see:
DEVLINKS: >- /dev/serial/by-id/usb- iTead_Sonoff_Zigbee_3.0_USB_Dongle_Plus_76e364414298ec118201a3d044d80d13-if00-port0
/dev/serial/by-path/pci-0000:00:06.0-usb-0:2:1.0-port0
DEVNAME: /dev/ttyUSB0
DEVPATH: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:06.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/ttyUSB0/tty/ttyUSB0

I finally got back to this. While investigating in Device Manager I noticed that after a reboot the Sonoff Dongle listed under Other Devices said it did not have a driver installed! This surprised me a bit as I thought it would have been the same CP210X driver that the previous dongle used but anyhow I installed the CP210x USB to UART Bridge Virtual COM Port (VCP) driver and now the Sonoff showed up under Ports as COM 5. I then went into Virtual Box settings for Home Assistant, selected USB, clicked on the +icon and found a new entry called Cygnal Integrated Products Inc. CP210x UART Bridge. I ticked the box and rebooted and all is well. From a restart or full shutdown and startup the system now completes the startup with the Sonoff dongle recognized and operational in Home Assistant.

1 Like

Did you ever find a solution? I’m trying to setup the same dongle on Virtualbox, and the filter shows the dongle, but no port is assigned. Without that I can’t setup Zigbee2MQTT on HA. I also have the autostart enabled on Windows.

I had the same problem and never found a solution that worked.
Finally I switched to VMWare Workstation Player 17. There is no need to disconnect and reconnect the Sonoff Zigbee dongle.
A step by step is avaialable to setup an automatic connexion of the dongle: Installing Home Assistant on VMWare Workstation 17 - #8 by FriedCheese

1 Like