Unable to find service notify.me

Hi,

I recently did a clean setup and restored some old automations, but am getting the following error on start-up and am struggling to identify the culprit:

2021-06-22 09:25:35 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alert/__init__.py", line 232, in watched_entity_change
await self.begin_alerting()
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alert/__init__.py", line 244, in begin_alerting
await self._notify()
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alert/__init__.py", line 283, in _notify
await self._send_notification_message(message)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alert/__init__.py", line 311, in _send_notification_message
await self.hass.services.async_call(
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1438, in async_call
raise ServiceNotFound(domain, service) from None
homeassistant.exceptions.ServiceNotFound: Unable to find service notify.me

Any pointers welcome!

You need to define me in configuration.yaml. Here’s mine, for notify.admin, set up as a group but with only one member:

notify:
  - name: admin
    platform: group
    services:
      - service: mobile_app_sm_a405fn

That effectively aliases notify.admin to notify.mobile_app_sm_a405fn, so I only have to update in one place when I change my phone.

OK, I can see how that makes sense - although how do I find out what’s trying to invoke/notify the ‘me’ group? (thing is I don’t think I would have called a group ‘me’ as that’s semantically poor as a name, so I don’t think this is being caused by something I’ve done, but I do have my stupid moments so maybe…)

The errors suggest it’s coming from the alert code.

If you can get shell access to your /config folder, try grep "notify.me" *.yaml */*.yaml". If it’s part of a UI-configured integration, you’re on your own :wink: .