Unable to get Aqara P2 connected to HA Yellow

As an FYI, here is a writeup I did for pairing an Aqara P2 to an HA Thread network. I don’t think there was anything magic in my setup that made it work, it just so happens it did work.

Hello there,

i read your writeup and i followed it step by step. Resetted, restarted, whatever… All the things you write.

And guess what? ------ It didnt work.

I can see the image of the P2 on my Android phone, i see it finds it and it tries to connect, but in the end it never connects to HA Yellow.

Other people wrote that they connected it to like every system that exists on this planet first and later to HA but i have no homekit nor other things.

I just can say that this Thread/Matter shit is a show off technology for fancy youtubers generating thounsands of euros or dollars or whatever making fancy videos about fancy stuff, but if i buy that shit it doesnt work. Its already dead, soon after birth.
Nothing from “standard” and “works everywhere” or “now thats the future, it will be so simple”.
Its just shit. Noithing more, nothing less. Just SHIT.

Yeah, the App is using Bluetooth initially to talk to the device to figure out what kind it is, but from there, unfortunately so many things can go wrong.

Based on my experience (and even what the developers are saying), using SiLabs Add-On for Thread networking is still in the early stages and it can be difficult to get working. I would only recommend it if one is using it to experiment with and willing to spend a lot of time trying to figure it out.

I spent a lot of time and i see no chance getting it to work.

And i see nothing i could change so it would.
And no one seems to be able to tell what could be changed.

And people on here say they just connect it and it works.

I am now trying to enlarge my existing zigbee network to the room i need the devices and go that way.
When thread/matter needs years to get the simplest things running i can say that my life will be to short to wait for that.

Bought an Aqara Zigbee Plug.
Bought 2 Aqara Zigbee Door/Window sensors.

Now it works what i wanted to achieve and i am happy.

No necessity for technologies that dont work and never will.

Post closed.

I had this exact problem (Aqara D&W Sensor P2, Home Assistant Yellow). I tried everything. I kept trying everything and the sensor finally connected to Home Assistant after approximately 20 attempts. My second sensor took another 20 attempts over a few days but finally connected. My order of operation was:

1. Connect Sensor P2 to Google Home (Nest Wifi Pro Border Router)
  2. Add Matter Device in Home Assistant app on my Android phone

I believe this is a Home Assistant issue because the sensor connects to Google Home instantly and reliably. Good luck to others attempting this, It needs to improve before I buy more sensors.

I tried removing and reinstalling apps, restarting HA, praying to several gods, and success (I think) is attributed only to perseverance.

1 Like