Unable to get Aqara P2 connected to HA Yellow

Hello,

i have a home assistant yellow system and i would like to connect a new Aqara P2 window sensor to it.

How can i do that?

I tried several things but nothing works.

Please help me.

What did you try (so we can understand if you were on the right track or not).

I think the P2 uses matter, not* Zigbee, so you may need to have that integration installed along with a border router.

*typo.

Hello

Thankyou for your reply!

I use the Home Assistant Yellow Raspberry System which says it includes Thread/Matter onboard.

I made:
configured
Settings - System - Hardware - Configure - Configure IEEE 802.15.4 radio multiprotocol support
added
Settings - Devices and Services - Add Integration - Matter (BETA)
Settings - Devices and Services - Add Integration - Thread

configured
Matter - Use the official Matter Server Supervisor add-on
Thread - 1 border router: Silicon Labs Multiprotocol

When i go to
Settings Devices and Services - Devices - Add Device - Add Matter device

it says:
You need to use the Home Assistant Companion app on your mobile phone to commission Matter devices.

when i go to:
Settings Devices and Services - Devices - Add Device - Thread

it doensnt say something, only an empty box.

If i use my Android phone with the companion app to add the device:

Settings - Devices and Services - Devices - Add Device - Add Matter device:
It wants a QR, which i dont have, so i say without QR and enter the number (i cant enter the dashes)
Device is being searchedā€¦
Connection is being establishedā€¦
(it shows a drawing of the sensor, so it find its)
Testing Network connectionā€¦
No connection to thread network ā€œhome-assistantā€ is possible

Do you have any idea?

I think I read somewhere that the QR code is on the inside of the lid that holds the battery on the P2. Have you checked there for it?

No QR code there, but when i give the number it seems like it knows thats its an aqara window sensor.

What should i do?

Sorry, the QR code is under the battery (at least in this photo

nope

and if i enter the code manually it finds the device

but it cannot add it

i even disabled OBTR firewall on the Silicon Labs Multiprotocol which i found in another thread on here.

nothing

found the QR code on the back of the bookletā€¦

but it didnt change a thing.

still the same ā€œno connection to thread network home-assistant possibleā€

i am frustrated.
seems i am the only one not getting it to work.

i had a second Aqara P2 bought with the first, and now i unpacked it and tested it and as you might guess, it doesnt work either.

deinstalled matter, thread, otpr, Silicon Labs Multiprotocol

restarted the whole HA yellow system

enabled the multiprotocol again
thread was installed automaticall
installed matter

tested again

same error.

its 2 am, going to sleepā€¦

OK, at least thatā€™s something. Donā€™t lose it. Put a copy in the battery compartment,

Do the following to get more of the right people to see this topic & help you.:

• Change the thread title to ā€œUnable to get Aqara matter code accepted on HA Yellowā€.
  • Also, add the tag ā€˜Aqara" to this topic and change its category to `Configurationā€™.

ā€¦sorry, but I neither have a Yellow, nor do I use matter and I am out of suggestions.

i changed the things according to your suggestion with my understanding of my problem.

good luck!

1 Like

I just got my Aqara P2 too. I have HA running on a Pi 4 and installed the Matter Add-on as well as the Matter integration. Then you go to Devices & Services and there you have an option called add matter devices. I scanned the QR-code on the paper booklet and could add the sensor in HA. Before I resetted the sensor by pressing the big round button 10 times until the LED blinks.

My matter-router is a Homepod mini.

suddenly the sensor became unavailable, I resetted it to the factory default settings.

I think i found out something very interesting. I could connect the sensor first in the Homekit-app from iOS BUT i couldnt connect it to HA via enabling the pairing-mode in the Homekit-app. It always says device cannot be added.

So I resetted the device again. This time I firstly added it in HA via the add matter device integration using the QR-code.

Then I added the device in Homekit via the QR-code AGAIN and it worked.

summary: I could add the sensor once in HA and once in Homekit. Honestly I dont know if it is the same entity, when I open the window, both HA and Homekit change their state.

Just wanted to let you know, maybe it could be helpful for further investigations.

I have the exact same problem but found no solution yet. More advices would be very helpful.

I received my Aqara P2 sensors last night and am having a similar problem. Iā€™ve added them to homekit, and added it to Alexa, but am unable to add it to Home Assistant. I have several, so I opened the second one and tried to add it directly first but it just sits on the ā€˜Connecting to Serverā€™ and never completes. I am wondering if perhaps the zigbee or bluetooth is interfering from the HA Yellow some how. These are my first Matter/Thread devices.

I tried to factory reset my device (hit the button 10 times), but that didnā€™t work. I am sitting in the same room as my HA yellow, Aqara P2 sensor, and iPhone. So there should be no issues with rangeā€¦

Iā€™ll report back if I find a solution, in the mean time I am interested to hear if how others got this to work.

When trying to connect my Aqara P2 to HA yellow, I am sure itā€™s talking to the P2, as I see rapid blinking on the P2 indicator light, it just seems like after what ever communication happens then, the sensor just never hooks up to my HA yellow.

I have 2 work arounds right now.

1. create an input toggle in HA as a helper to reflect the state of the sensor. Expose it to HomeKit and run an automation in homekit to set the state of the toggle based on the state of the Aqara P2. Then I can just run HA automations using my helper instead of the Aqara P2. This is familiar to me from Hoobs.

2. Add my P2 to alexa and expose it to HA. Then run automations as normal. I didnā€™t think of this until I was at work, and was a little put out with how easy it was to set this up. I am going to see how much latency exists, but most of my sensor automations donā€™t need instant reactions.

Iā€™ll keep trying