Hardware:

• Raspberry Pi 5 - 8GB RAM
  • Official Active Cooler
  • Sandisk Ultra 16GB MicroSD Card - Class 10
  • Official PSU 27W

Software:

• Raspberry Pi Imager v1.8.5
  • Home Assistant OS 12.0 & 12.1 - 64Bit for Raspberry Pi 5
  • Headless Configuration (Hostname, Username & Password, Wireless LAN, Locale and SSH Enabled)

Success:
Pi Imager successfully writes & verifies the MicroSD for HAOS 12.0 & 12.1

Issues:

1. After powering ON Raspberry Pi 5, the fan is ON for 3 seconds then turns OFF.
  2. Simultaneously, Green LED is ON solid for 3 seconds then blinks 4-5 times and goes OFF.
  3. Unable to connect via Wireless LAN.
  4. Do not have Micro HDMI Cable and neither the Debug UART Probe.

Tests:

1. Flashed Raspberry Pi OS Lite - 64bit on the same Micro SD card.
  2. Raspberry pi 5 boots and connects to Wireless LAN and SSH, flawlessly.

Prompt:
What could be the potential issue and how to narrow it down?

Plug in a monitor and keyboard. My bet would be on the PSU.

How have you set up wifi? If you are setting up WiFi in the pi imager that will not work as HAOS does not work the same as other OS’s. As far as I know none of the other settings will work either.

You really need to set up using a lan cable.

Do you think the official PSU 27W is malfunctioning in the case of HAOS, which is working fine in the case of Raspberry Pi OS Lite (64 Bit)?

I would want to keep the setup headless.

You are correct, I configured it using the Pi Imager. Sorry, I was not aware of the settings incompatible with HAOS.

Now, I have attached the LAN Cable to the setup. Issue persists!!

Fan & Green LED goes OFF after 3-5 seconds. In addition to it, LAN Port, yellow LED is ON solid. Not connected to the router as well.

Try to flash again without making any adjustments in Pi imager.

Okay, I have cleared the OS settings and flashed it again. Verified!

And issue persists!!

No, I think the official PSU is barely adequate for the Raspberry Pi.

I have read of problems flashing packed images, try unpacking first…S

Managed to connect to a display and here is the screen stuck for more than 8 minutes and counting:

Is it solved ? If not, how big is your SD card ?

Yes, headless Wireless Lan start was not possible and the moment I connected to the LAN Cable, it worked.

Hardware details are mention at the beginning of this post. It’s 16GB Card though.

1 Like

Hello,
here is my experience with installing HA on SSD and Pi5:

I started up my Pi5 with the original 27W power supply and the 64bit OS. As microSD I have a 64GB card.
I then connected a Kingston 240GB SSD with the recommended adapter USB 3. I copied the OS to the SSD.
I removed the microSD card and the OS started, so SSD works on Pi5!
I installed the HA OS via imager on the SSD, it did not work.
I installed the HA OS with imager on a 64GB microSD, it works!!!
Now I set up the HA OS on the 64GB microSD and did an update.
All good…
Now I copied the microSD card to the SSD with Etcher on my Windows11 PC. Please note that you have to start Etcher in admin mode!
This took some time but was successful.
My HA OS which runs on a Pi4 now works with all data on the Pi5 on an SSD. I made a backup of the Pi4 system and then installed it on the Pi5. Everything worked fine.
I am not a Linux expert and have spent a lot of time installing HA on the Pi5. If anyone has any questions, maybe I can help…

Greetings from Halle from Jürgen

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)