Unable to install Home Assistant on Volumio for Raspberry Pi

After days of trying myself I hope I can get some help on this forum. The problem i have is simple. I want to install Home Assistant on my Raspberry Pi3b. It already contains an installation / image from Volumio for music / spotify in my living room. There is a 7inch screen attached to control the music and the pi is attached to my speakers which all are build in my home made cabinet wall.

I’m using this installation guide: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/raspberry-pi/

The problem i think is the phyton version. Somewhere in the guide i have to install python3 (python 2.7 is already installed in the volumio image). When I install python3 (sudo apt-get install python3 python3-venv python3-pip) it installs python 3.4.2. That version is no longer supported for home-assistant. So the installation (within virtual environment of outside it) will fail with the error that I don’t have python 3.5.2+ version installed. I tried to install python 3.7.1 trough a guide from github, the version seems to install but when i want to execute the home assistant installation with python3.7 (python3.7 -m pip install homeassistant) it tells me that python doesn’t have the ssl module installed. When i try to install that it sais it’s already installed. I think it wants to install within the python3.4 version. but i’m not sure if im doing it right.

I’m not very familiar with linux so it’s all a bit difficult for me to find out. The reason I want to use home assistant is that domoticz is way to unstable for me. Openhab2 is just to complicated with all the text files and the Paperuit which doesn’t interact with those files (it just is build that way…). So i hoped home assistant would be a nice alternative for my domotica with philips hue / rfxcom / samsung tv / kodi and a denon receiver.

Hope someone could help me getting started with home assistant.

Install docker and use it.

1 Like

Well I installed it via docker, first had to install docker. But now it isn’t reachable. if I go to 192.168.0.159:8123 the access is rejected… not sure how to check if everthing went right…

Did you use --net=host in your docker run command?

sorry i made a mistake! It runs! I made a type in my IP-adress. shame shame. Been doing this whole day, eyes become a little fuzzy… haha. thnx for the help. I can start now to configure hass :slight_smile: