Unable to install nodered/node-red-docker

Has anyone been able to get nodered/node-red-docker to install? It times out for me when I run docker-compose up -d node-red. I always get the following error no matter what the timeout is set to.

ERROR: An HTTP request took too long to complete. Retry with --verbose to obtain debug information.

Here is my bare-bones docker-compose.yaml for it. I am able to get machinedata/node-red to install, but it does not come with git so I am unable to install the node-red-contrib-home-assistant palette. So I am trying to go back to the official docker image. I have even tried adding a 5 minute timeout to the docker-compose command line and it still times out. I have also tired both with and without latest-v8 and no luck with that either. I have even tried several times over the past week, so it isn’t a temporary server outage either.

node-red:
    ## Updated image tag per @cameron recommendation, still no luck.
    image: nodered/node-red-docker:v8
    #image: nodered/node-red-docker:latest-v8
    #image: machinedata/node-red
    container_name: node-red
    ports:
      - 1880:1880
    restart: on-failure
    volumes:
      - /opt/node-red:/data
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
      - /etc/timezone:/etc/timezone:ro

Try

image: nodered/node-red-docker:v8

No luck there either. Its like the server is down permanently. What docker image is everyone else using?

FWIW I’ve now tried:

nodered/node-red-docker
nodered/node-red-docker:latest
nodered/node-red-docker:v8
nodered/node-red-docker:latest-v8
nodered/node-red-docker:slim

Oops. I think I was using the wrong command. My bad. I should have been using sudo ./dockerupdate.sh node-red instead of sudo ./dockerstart.sh node-red. I don’t have time to troubleshoot it now, but I will look into this later.

dockerupdate.sh

#!/bin/bash
cd /opt
docker-compose down $1
docker-compose pull $1
COMPOSE_HTTP_TIMEOUT=300 docker-compose up -d $1

dockerstart.sh

#!/bin/bash
cd /opt
COMPOSE_HTTP_TIMEOUT=300 docker-compose up -d $1

OK. I think I have this resolved. Node-red is running and I was able to get node-red-contrib-home-assistant installed. I just had to install it in my node-red config directory, outside of the docker container. Thanks for trying to help! :slight_smile:

cd /opt/node-red
npm install node-red-contrib-home-assistant

I also had a similar issue. The suggested resolution on the nodered website was to install nodered/node-red-docker:latest-v8, however that is an invalid image.

After searching around on their github issues I learned that the image was changed to:
nodered/node-red-docker-v8:latest

docker create --name nodered2 --restart=always -it -p 1880:1880 -v /media/sanderson/MediaStorage/docker/nodered/data:/data -v /home/sanderson/.ssh:/ssh nodered/node-red-docker-v8:latest

After this I was able to install the home-assistant pallete and everything is good now.

Hi, quick question, not sure how should I pull this image, I’ve tried this, but no luck:

sudo docker pull nodered/node-red-docker-v8:latest

I guess I find it:

sudo docker pull nodered/node-red-docker:v8

Just got to this, but yeah, you found the right one. They changed the name back to the standard node-red-docker container, and the tag is v8.