Unable to link Home Assistant to Google Assistant

Thank you all! I finally got some time to try some more things you suggested but nothing seems to work… One question: did you do the google action test? And did it work? What does it do? For me it says that the action in not available in the simulation… Maybe that is the issue?

The solution in my 16 August still works OK. But I’ve never been able to get a successful test in the Google Action Test. Don’t know what the issue is. But it doesn’t affect the working solution to date so have not bothered with the Google Action Test. Hope that helps.

1 Like

thought i had read that it worked with 2FA but disabling worked for me

Hi there,
I was facing some problems until i watched this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGiDPIx_mVQ
Includind the .json file did not work for me but i did it like in the video at it works now, just be careful to put in “” your project id also.

i had been using for two months with not problem google home in hassio (virtual box), so i moved all my system to RB pi4, did all the steps (at least 10 times from scrash), but at the moment the add in the google home app my [test]XXX i get a message that says “something went wrong, try again”, now i tried to get back to VB and i got the same message, i had been using the same duckdns address as I tried to move all as is used to be, can be related to this? now I’m in a no more ideas mood

Same here.
Solved just by adding at least one entity/device to be synced with Google Home.
If like me, you try to link Google Assistant to a fresh new HA install, be sure to add one device first.
If Google Home has no devices received from HA, your [test] Home assistant won’t show up in the Associated Services list.

I believe the Hubitat GH integration messes up HA integration into GH. My HA app links and shows devices without me having the opportunity to choose them. I found that the device count is the same as my Hubitat integration in GH. Looking through my devices there are duplicates of all of my Hubitat devices. The duplicates show they are linked by my HA integration. My next step is to unlink Hubitat and see if that resolves the issue but I’m not ready to drop Hubitat integrations yet.

Edit:

I bit the bullet and unlinked Hubitat and made sure the devices were gone in GH. After linking HA the devices are back but say manufactured by Hubitat. I also forgot to mention that none of the linked devices are in HA yet because I wanted to be able to control them with my voice.

Edit 2:
If I disable the Hubitat integration in HA, my integration setup in GH just kicks out like others have reported. I use port 8123 with DuckDns. Does it have to be 443? Or is pointing the GH setup stuff to 8123 sufficient?

Thanks for any help.

Edit 3:

Not sure what I did diffently but after fiddling with the action and regenerating the keys and updating my config several times it works. And with the Hubitat addon still working. Now I can slowly migrate my devices that required GH to HA. I did change the yaml a bit to:

expose_by_default: true
#exposed_domains:
#  - switch
#  - light
#   - camera
#   - scene
#   - sensor
#   - script

Not sure if that did it but I’m not messing with it to find out :grinning:.

Hi, sorry for reviving a dead topic. I had a similar issue I thought I would document for future googler’s.

I had my setup working for ages with DuckDNS, this week I migrated to CloudFlare and made a new project rather than go through and change anything. When I added HA to Google home, it authenticated and then silently failed. I could see 404 errors in the google console.

After trying everything including making two new projects. I’d given up for the day, then I suddenly remembered. I had geoblocking enabled. Sure enough checked cloudflare logs, and there’d been multiple attempts from the US to access my domain. Turned them off and voila!

I think it’s probably a very niche issue, but still could be useful to someone?

3 Likes

I encountered similar issues with Google Assistant device sync not working out of the blue and the turns out the culprit was also Cloudflare, but in my instance it was the “Known Bots” firewall rule and not GEO IP location.

After disabling the rule I was able to get Google Assistant to successfully sync devices again.

Anyone experiencing sync issues that uses Cloudflare for DNS management should review firewall > overview to ensure nothing is getting blocked on the Cloudflare side before it reaches your firewall.

1 Like

hey, are you using CFs teams for that? I’m considerfing that myself

I was just using the standard CF DNS management. I’m not sure what CF teams is.

The standard free tier of CF DNS allows for 5 firewall rules.

Yep, that made the trick for me as well. Did not remember either about the geoblocking in CF, so that solved the issue. Although I’m not really comfortable letting incoming US connections to my server.

1 Like

Hey, today google reported that my Home Assistant is not available.
Did all the usual checks, reachable from outside etc.

So I tried unlinking and linking the app again, unfortunately now when I enter username and password nothing happens and it stays under Unlinked.

Tried creating a new action etc and following the documentation, the new service behaves the same.
Also tried with a phone that doesn’t have Home Assistant installed nor does it have html5 app.
Also tried different google account.
Also tried different Home Assistant server which has an older snapshot.

I did not update or change anything… any ideas?

Did you rentable the test/simulation?

Yes I did, on both actions and both accounts I was testing with.

I tried a trial of Nabu casa and that seems to work, even without remote access enabled.
I configured it just like I had it via google_assistant but would prefer to use google_assistant instead.

Solved! My domain expired and my dns didn’t update as soon as googles yesterday so I did not notice!

Always check if your domain is still valid! :smiley:

You mean the ssl cert? My LetsEncrypt renews when 30 days left…

I mean the domain itself, I need to pay for it to extend it for another year!

Oh ok… I just paid 10 years upfront for mine… you could lose it if it expires…

I’m struggling about 8 hours total now. But I can’t get Google Assistent get talk to HA.

I all set it up like the way it have to be. And when i start Google home app, I see the [test] xxx. And when i select that I do get a 404 error file not found.

Is this because i use WireGuard and the WireGuard dns adress(duckdns)? That it’s blocking because it not getting the right certificate?

Who can help me out?