"Unable to Register Application"

I was able to register my device by disabling
Microg-> google cloud messageing -> advanced (3dot menu) -> Confirm new apps

My device get registered and shows up in HA but its not updating the GPS location nor receiving notifications via notfify

Error in the log says:

Log Details (ERROR)

Tue Feb 04 2020 09:44:55 GMT+1100 (Australian Eastern Daylight Time)

Internal server error, please try again later: That is not a valid FCM token

I ended up using GPSLogger for location tracking. No solution yet for push notifications

do you have an google account added to microg?
I enabled confirm new apps in microg, but the HA app is not able to register to HA.

Despite I have google account added to microG, google cloud messaging enabled and confirm new apps disabled, phone is not registered or integrated.

[quote=“hollladiewaldfee, post:7, topic:158896”]
It would be nice to have an app which does not relay on Gapps
[/quote]Exactly. If not this thread, I would not suspect that the issue is with too much dependance on google services…

1 Like

actually in my case I had to ‘Disable’ the Confirm new Apps option (not enable).

the device not registering may be a micro G issue. Though that doesn’t take away the dependence of HA on Google services, since in my case even after registering it doesn’t work.

to trouble shoot microG, can you download ‘Push Notification Tester’ app and see if it registers to GCM and receives push notification?

Also, does the microG Self test display all options as ‘checked’ or not?

Got it registered after adding mobile_app: to the config (had default_config: from the beginning), and clearing (again) HA app. One of this two done the job.

Unfortunately, as you’ve previously stated, push notifications does not work. I’ve ended up installing HassKit to get the notifications working. Other apps such as Ariela might work fine as well.

in the self test not all are checked,
Play Store installed, is not, I have aurora store which is not seen by Microg, but I don’t think is a problem.
Storage permissions are also missing and can’t be fixed, I granted all requested permissions in the microg app setting

I’m also using microG and noticed tracking didnt work. I tried clearing appdata and loggin in again, after which i countered the same “unable to register application” error. Thanks for the tip, forcing the application to close did work.

But still looking for a way to track location…

try to install google maps for tracking…but u probably need to make sure you have google services too.

I just updated my android app and now everything works \o/ I got an popup asking for permission for location access, the integration is added, and i finally got battery/location/wifi sensors!

I face the same issue with microG. Is there a way to solve it?
Thanks.

Same here. The previously mentioned methods don’t work for me. Too bad that there isn’t a proper F-Droid edition for the companion app :frowning:

2 Likes

You should find »Libre Assistant« in the Grobox Repository:

https://grobox.de/fdroid/

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll give it a try.

EDIT: Any more info on the source code? The links inside f-droid only point to the home assistant page.

It’s weird but looks like the programmers are unwilling to change this behaviour even it causes unnecessary issues and support efforts everybody need to pay in time :timer_clock: :moneybag:

Actually it could be even considered funny because this issue was kind of closed because of some time concerns :man_facepalming:

Sorry for the late reply: We have been on vacation.
I think, you’re looking for

3 Likes

I’m also having issues with the companion app on a microg phone (samsung gt-i9505, lineage os 16, android 9).
I tried the “official” app (builds 239 and 241) from the (aurora) app store and ran into all the issues above. to recap:

• executed all the steps in starting fresh
  • could not register the app
  • still had the app in the integration (with 5 entities, all of which except the device_tracker worked, even the geocoded location)
  • did not have the notify.mobile_app_… service, even after restarting hass core

After reading this thread i switched to the Libre Assistant app, which registered without a hitch, but only showed one entity (device_tracker), which didn’t work (or maybe the phone just didn’t have a valid location at that point, can’t tell). It also gave me the notify.mobile_app service, which didn’t work, though. When trying to send a notification I had this in the log:

2020-08-10 18:07:42 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mobile_app.notify] Internal server error, please try again later: You did not send a token!

It should be noted that neither the official nor the libre app show up in my microg-settings in the “Google Cloud Messaging” list, so it’s no surprise that the notification didn’t work.
I should also note that the app on the wife’s phone (Samsung sm-g390f running the stock rom) works flawlessly, including notifications and location updates.

One last thing (probably unrelated): When I looked at the mobile_app integration a short while later, the libre assistant app had magically re-gained the battery and wifi entities, but not the geocoded location (which is also missing from the wife’s app, btw).

Can anybody here make sense of this?

if you are not using a device with google services then you are using the minimal version which means no location tracking or notifications. The app was just split to include a full and minimal version depending on your needs. Check the blog post for more details.

Even if it says 2.1.0-239-full under App Version Info?

I was under the impression that the whole point of microG was to be a drop in replacement for the Google Play Services, just without all the spying.

I imagine that the API provided by microG isn’t perfect when it comes to mimicking the original Google API, but it seems to be good enough for Signal, Accuweather and Netflix (all of which use Google Cloud Messaging) and even (at least some of) Google’s own apps, like Google Maps.
Some apps can get a bit wonky when it comes to accessing Google Play Services, though.

Still, from the App’s point of view the Google Pay Services should be there, even though they are provided by microG instead of Google.

Although that version may install the full flavor is intended for google play services, using anything else would lead to unexpected results. I can’t really speak to anything else but if you are using micro g then you should be using minimal as thats the intended use case.