Unable to repair/fix Z-Wave device

This is so frustrating. I’ve been trying everything for the last 4 hours and cannot get this thing to work. My device is a Zen77 Zooz Zwave dimmable light switch. It has been working for the last few months but about a week ago it stopped responding. I have 4-5 other ZEN77 devices that are still working fine, so my Zwave setup appears to still be okay. I’m using the Z-Wave JS to MQTT add-on to manage my Z-wave devices. The version is 0.43.0 I tried Heal Node, that did not work. I tried “Re-interview Node” that seemed to make things worse (and failed). Now the device shows as Unknown…and in the list shows stuck on “ProtocolInfo”. I am unable to Exclude the device. When I try the Exclusion process It starts…shows a timer in Home Assistant…but when I press the lower paddle 3 times on the Zen77 Home Assistant does not appear to notice it. The Exclusion timer just ends and tells me that it did not see an exclusion attempt. I’ve also factory reset the device. This seems to have worked as the LED lights on the switch flashed correctly.

When I attempt to remove the device that fails with " Z-Wave error 360: The node removal process could not be started because the node responded to a ping. (ZW0360)"

I’m not sure what else I can do and hoping someone in the community can help me figure this out. The device still appears in the Z-Wave JS control panel with the “ProtocolInfo” pill. I just cannot figure out how to remove it from the system or this list. The Device ID shows as “undefined-undefined-undefined (0xXXXX-0xXXXX-0xXXXX)”. I’m able to ping the device and when I do the TX statistics count bump up by one. I’m also able to rename the device.

What else can I do?

Disconnect power to the switch, then try and remove it.

If it excluded on the device end, but still lists as connected and didn’t fully exclude from the zwave network, you will need to do a “remove failed node” to get rid of it so it can be added back.

Go to the device in the zwavejs2mqtt control panel, click advanced, then click remove under failed nodes.

After that, I would do a factory reset on the switch

Then you should be able to include it fresh. If it still doesn’t work after, it’s possible the switch failed.

1 Like

I’ll give this a shot…it’s not really easy though since it’s hard wired.

It wont let me remove the failed node since it says I can still ping the device.

What a nightmare. The switch is connected to the same breaker as my server rack. I’m officially ANTI-Zooz and Z-Wave at this point. If the only way I can exclude a hard-wired Z-Wave device requires me to completely open the gang box and cut the wires. UGH.

Sounds like you need a UPS anyway for the server rack…get that, then toss the breaker

I like your thinking, I can always use an excuse to buy another gadget.

Pull the air gap tab on the bottom of the Zooz switch. This disconnects it’s power.

2 Likes

Consider a UPS that you can interface to from Home Assistant. This way you get some sensors and can send a txt when you lose power. In my setup, the NAS recognizes the UPS when it’s plugged in via a USB cable and the NAS has the option to run a NUT server. HA running in docker has a NUT client, that talks to that NUT server.

Try reversing the order - factory reset the switch, then do remove failed node after the factory reset:

If your primary controller is missing or inoperable, you may need to reset the device to factory settings. To reset the switch, press and hold the lower paddle for 10 seconds until the LED indicator starts blinking. Release paddle, and immediately after, tap the lower paddle 5 times to complete the reset. The LED indicator will flash blue 3 times and turn red for 3 seconds to confirm successful reset.

You should not have to power cut for a factory reset.