Unable to restart Homeassistant, Error executing service <ServiceCall homeassistant.restart

@allan thanks. For some reason, one of my restart attempts picked up. Not sure why.

I experience the exact same issue running 0.81.0. Running on a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B.

Having the exact same issue on 0.80.3 running on a Pi 3B+. HassOS 1.11 / supervisor 138.

Spent the last week disabling and re-enabling pretty much everything to see what was causing restarts to time out / not work. I commenting out lots of things, disabled components, addons, etc… At this point I’m pretty confident its a HassIO bug. Glad to see that I’m not the only one experiencing this.

I registered this issue on Github: https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio/issues/786

1 Like

Could you guys be using “Alexa as media player” addon?

Last change on my HA was that this addon was spamming me to reauthenticate it with my alexa and asking for captchas, so i disabled it and it seems to be good now.

I just updated to 0.84.5 this moring and now I cant use the HA restart service…

error:

Sat Dec 22 2018 10:21:07 GMT+0800 (Australian Western Standard Time)

Error executing service <ServiceCall homeassistant.restart (c:9a76b208c012438ea9a8cda203fea2e5)>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py”, line 1130, in _safe_execute
await self._execute_service(handler, service_call)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py”, line 1143, in _execute_service
await handler.func(service_call)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/hassio/init.py”, line 268, in async_handle_core_service
error = await async_check_config(hass)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/hassio/init.py”, line 148, in async_check_config
raise HomeAssistantError() from None
homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError

any ideas??

updated to 0.84.6 and still have the same problem. I can SSH in and restart, but not from the GUI

Same here on v0.84.6

Same problem here, same error in log. If I keep hitting restart, after a few errors it picks up and restarts. But it takes a very long time before I can call the UI again.

Also get this in the log after restart:
2018-12-23 15:03:28 WARNING (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder] Ended unfinished session (id=4 from 2018-12-22 17:30:55.496863)
Don’t know if it’s related.

Logged an issue in git.

Just an FYI. I ended up clearing my db file (it was over 1gb in size), and now my restart button works.

THat’s not really a fix. Why was the bug closed?

I believe I’m seeing the same thing in my HA in Docker on Synology. I basically have to start/stop the container for reboots. My db is in MySQL, so I don’t think the db size is my issue.

I started seeing this on .80 and am still seeing it on .84.

Does anyone know if this is going to be fixed or if it’s even acknowledged as an issue?

I am running into the same problems, any solution?

I finally ended up deleting my database to solve this as has been suggested, but it seems like a crappy non-solution.

I was never able to find anywhere it has been acknowledged. My recollection is that somewhere further up this thread someone filed a bug and the bug was closed telling them to delete their DB, which isn’t a fix.

After an update to 88.2 I cant use the HA restart service… anymore

I have also restart problems and unable to create snapshots. my home-assistant_v2.db file size is 1.66GB, any solution?

Based on my experience the issue is that the DB gets too large. This is especially so if you are running HASSIO on a SD card.
your immediate solution is to delete the DB and restart. Long term solution is to keep the DB to a much smaller size. See https://www.home-assistant.io/components/recorder/

I personally run these settings which keep my DB at around 250MB. Although I have since also moved my HASSIO from my Pi3 to an old laptop with SSD.

#cleanup DB
    recorder:
      purge_keep_days: 5
      purge_interval: 1
      exclude:
        domains:
          - automation
          - weblink
          - updater
          - zwave
        entities:
          - sun.sun # Don't record sun data
          - sensor.last_boot # Comes from 'systemmonitor' sensor platform
          - sensor.date

Hope this helps someone.

I have the same problem. I can not restart HA. I am on 0.100.02 vesrion
How can I delete the DB history?
I don’t even know where it is.
Can someone help please?

Also, where do I place the below code? In automation yaml?

#cleanup DB
    recorder:
      purge_keep_days: 5
      purge_interval: 1
      exclude:
        domains:
          - automation
          - weblink
          - updater
          - zwave
        entities:
          - sun.sun # Don't record sun data