Unable to set Home Network WiFi SSID

The recent security issues finally pushed me into upgrading HA (if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it, right?). With that comes the ability to utilize the great HA Companion app.

So far everything is going great, but on the wall mounted tablet we use in the house (Fire HD10) I am unable to set a Home Network WiFi SSID which prevents setting a local connection URL. Since this tablet is never going to leave the house I’d like to avoid using the external/nabu.casa URL and force the local connection. There have been a few times when I will wake up the tablet and find a message that it couldn’t connect to the nabu.casa url (I’ve experienced the same intermittent blips with remote access but they usually resolve quickly).

I assume this probably has something to do with the tablet running an older version of Android (5.1.1 / LineageOS 12.1) as it works just fine on my Pixel 3XL. Is there another way to force a local connection or enter a WiFi SSD?

What is preventing you from setting it? We don’t have any logic in the app to prevent it. Also you are free to use the first URL as an internal URL too.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. When tapping the setting for the Home Network WiFi SSID nothing happens. No prompt is presented to enter the value.

If I can just reset the first URL, that’d be great. I didn’t realize I could update that since it was auto-populated for me after entering my local address to setup the app. I’ll give that a try later today.

This might be because lineage OS like any other custom ROM does not report that location is enabled properly and therefore we cannot get the SSID. You may have gotten a notification telling you so as we prevent this feature if location is not enabled.

yup just update it in settings

@dshokouhi Thanks for the tip. That did the trick.

It would be nice to have the option to tell the app to not replace the local address that I gave it when setting up the app with the external address. :slight_smile: