Unable to set up dependencies of default_config. Setup failed for dependencies: automation

Hello!

Suddenly all my automations are gone. A downgrade does not help either. When starting I get the following error message:

Logs here:

Automation log:

Setup failed for default_config: (DependencyError(...), 'Could not setup dependencies: automation')

10:58:05 – (FEHLER) setup.py

Unable to set up dependencies of default_config. Setup failed for dependencies: automation

Error during setup of component automation

10:58:05 – (FEHLER) helpers/entity_registry.py

default_config

Setup failed for default_config: (DependencyError(...), 'Could not setup dependencies: automation')

any idea?

rg
Piet

1 Like

Default config is failing to load because the automation integration can’t be set up because you have invalid config in there.

Comment out half the automations of your automation.yaml then restart. If it worked you know the invalid config is in the commented half. If it did not work the error is in the uncommented half.

Keep halving the half with the error until you narrow down where the issue is.

Or first just undo the last automation change you made (if you know what it was).

and from now on always perform a config check before restarting HA after making a config change.

The same problem occured on my installation today. the reason was a removed or changed id of a device , that was used in a condition. I removed the condition in the automation and the error was gone.
So i changed the condition from device to entity and it worked.

If you want to prevent this happening in future you should not use device automations. See: Why and how to avoid device_ids in automations and scripts

Hi, I’ve got the same issue after (but not sure if related) an iPhone iOS update
I tried removing all automations and restarting but the problem didn’t go away

Did you solve it?