Unable to update - Supervisor not privileged

He’s not involved in the conversation, don’t tag him. Plain and simple. Ludeeus is here, you simply could reply to him without the tag. Thanks.

I am having the same issue. Also tried rebooting as mentioned but no luck here.

1 Like

Same issue here.

Update >> Ran an update on the host system, the update is now working. I should probably consider reinstalling the host system to the one that is officially supported.

Very good idea.

I’m kinda dreading it. As I understand it, I’ll need to format the drive on my nuc to remove ubuntu and instead install debian then restore the HA / HASSIO on that. Seems a big job, that’s why I’ve been putting it off.

You could get a new drive that way you keep your working version intact while you play around with other options. If you want to install HA OS on the NUC, there is an official image you can use.

If you use system for other things, you can try Proxmox. This method allows you to install the HA OS as a virtual machine and then also run other VMs like Ubuntu or Debian, etc, to run other software outside of the HA ecosystem. Keeps you fully supported, but is a little harder to set up initially.

You can also try a Debian 10 Supervised install. If you want to stay supported, you can not use the underlying OS for anything else, like Plex.

There are benefits and disadvantages to both methods.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s useful. I’m using the server just for HA, homebridge. I wouldn’t mind running some sort of NAS / disk sharing as well, though sambaNAS (home assistant addon) work quite well for this purpose.

I didn’t realise I could install HA OS directly on the NUC till now.

I’ll have to do some reading, but I would like to get on to it soon(ish).

1 Like

Installing HA OS on the NUC (as the only operating system) is really a waste of resources as the NUC is most likely idle most of the time and you can’t install anything else on there. Have a look at Proxmox and then install HA OS into a VM. There is a very good YouTube tutorial on this by JuanMTech. This way you can install other VMs alongside HA and use the NUC for other stuff (video surveillance, Plex, etc.).

2 Likes

Thanks. I like the VM idea. Installing on an unraid installation might also be worth thinking about.

Great suggestions however this does not resolve the problem at hand because I am running Debian 10 and still have this issue because of the Supervisor update.

I resolved the “unprivileged” error by modifying the docker run command of the supervisor as described here in the last comment:

Basically mounts the whole device tree now. And after restarting the service (not the machine) the unhealthy error is gone. I even had the courage to update HA to the latest point release .5 afterwards and all seems fine for now…

I guess this won’t be the last hack to keep things running…
Lets hope those supervisor features become optional soon…

1 Like

Hey all,

Just a quick note, the issue is currently being tracked on github Supervisor is not privileged #2351

1 Like

I’ve also had this problem. Rebooting the (Ubuntu 18.04.4) host solved the issue.

Rebooting Ubuntu 18.04.5 also solved it for me too … until two days later when it crashed and the ‘unhealthy’ indicator returned. I upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04.1 and that eliminated the indicator (no problem so far) and a related Warning message in the Log.

Restart the Supervisor, wait a minute or two, then refresh the Supervisor log. Check for messages complaining about Network Manager version 1.10 is not supported. It needs to be a minimum of 1.14 (except 1.10 is the latest official version for 18.04.5). In comparison, Network Manager in Ubuntu 20.04.1 is version 1.22.

Apparently the issue I have is that Supervisor is not compatible with latest version of Docker. See here

Those dependency versions should all be irrelevant for supervised installations. What useful thing does the supervisor do that depends on exactly having docker 19 and a certain minor version of network manager???

I have two installations that got borked by the last updates and I’m thinking about rolling back the supervisor to an earlier version and blocking further updates.

Has anyone tried something like this?

I’m having the same issue. Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS, Docker 20.10.1, Supervisor 2020.12.7 (core 0.111.4). System reports supervisor is not running in priviliged mode. OS is fully updated and has been rebooted multiple times.

I’ve followed the instructions in https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/privileged, and re-ran the convenience script (more than once), but it did nothing to resolve the issue. I’m still getting the “installation is in an unhealthy state” in the Supervisor/System tab, and when clicking on it the only issue is “Supervisor is not privileged”.

Anyone have a solution that doesn’t involve running the install script again or rebuilding the entire system?

I wanted to try your solution, but I don’t appear to have a /sbin/hassio-supervisor Any idea where else it might be hiding?

Running the install script isn’t difficult. Worth doing, if not, take a snapshot anc backup all your yaml and take the opportunity to move to Debian 10.

sudo -i
curl -sL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Kanga-Who/home-assistant/master/supervised-installer.sh" | bash -s

Wasting time putting band-aids on an unsupported installation is only kicking the can down the road.

Please read my entire comment. I ran the install script. Twice. It did nothing. That’s why I’m looking for a solution that doesn’t involve running it again.