Unable to write HAOS image to disc - "something went wrong"

I’m trying to follow these instructions to install the x86 image of HAOS to a Crucial 240GB SSD (I plan to store a lot of media on the disc), but I’m running up against a brick wall on the initial install.

I’m trying to use these instructions:

I downloaded Balena Etcher-1.19.21, and this version of HAOS X86

https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/13.1/haos_generic-x86-64-13.1.img.xz

which I unpacked using 7-Zip, giving me a file called haos_generic-x86-64-13.1.img

I ran Etcher as an Administrator, and followed the instructions, there was a popup window that asked if I wanted to run a command prompt window, which I said yes to, it then came up with this error message.

I tried the solutions based on these past posts:

But it didn’t resolve the problem.

I then tried using USBImager instead of Etcher, and received the error message

usbimagererrr1

Which makes me think that the problem is with my disc, not the image or Etcher.

I’ve tried reformatting the disc, running as an administrator, even disabling my anti virus, but I’m still having the same problem. Neither Etcher not USBImager will install to this disc.

It’s a brand new disc, and the only one that I have spare, and I’m on a budget so I don’t want to buy another one if I can help it.

Any ideas or solutions?

Try hooking that drive up to a computer and formatting it as a normal drive and see if it works. As a new drive and being Crucial, I would be very surprised if it is bad. Do you have any other computer you can try etching a file onto it from?

I’ve got a laptop and a tablet, neither of which can mount a second internal SSD, so I’m only able to connect it externally using a powered USB caddie.

Could I be formatting the drive incorrectly, does that even matter?

I just used Windows 10 do format the disc and to give it a letter. Windows seems to be able to write to the disc perfectly, and I can’t find any errors on it.

It could be a bad image, it’s not unheard of - there were a couple bad HA images in the past few years. See if you can get an older version of the image. Or, if you really want to test, grab ANY image file (ISO included) and use Balena to write the drive, I’m pretty sure, based on your testing and feedback, that the drive is OK.

I tried several older versions of the HAOS image using both programs, so it’s probably something else. I will try something completely unrelated to HAOS.

I used to have a trouble like this and found using a partition manager like AOMEI Partition Assistant or MiniTool Partition Wizard free versions to format the drive and don’t give it a drive letter then etch it worked for me.

Another thing that I didn’t think to consider: your USB adapter. Full computers are less prone than, say, the rPi, but you may have a junk adapter. Here’s what I’ve used on all systems with great success:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XLAZODE

I’m using one of these

Atolla CH-326U3S

It’s powered from a wall outlet and connected to USB 3 so there shouldn’t be a problem with data or power. So far it’s been great for backing up or cloning discs.

I’m wondering if it’s my computer.

It’s my computer. I just tried writing an Ubuntu ISO to an SD card to do the Method 1 install from the official instructions, and I received the same error.

Different image, different connection to PC, different writable medium, same problem.

USB Imager and Rusus gave me similar errors.

I gave up in the end and installed Ubuntu on a bootable USB key, then installed HOAS from that.

I have a completely different problem now, HOAS is on the SSD, but it won’t boot from it.

It keeps asking for bootable medium. I’m using an old Great Wall MB with UEFI 2.1.

It boots from the USB key OK to Ubuntu, but when I select the SSD to boot from it doesn’t recognize that there is a bootable OS on it.

I’ve previously had this hardware booting HAOS from a USB key so I know that it will boot. I’m trying to do a complete reinstall onto an SSD my old install had all kinds of problems.

I’m now getting a message saying that there is no bootable media available.

I’ve confirmed that I’m in UEFI mode and that secure boot is disabled.

I found this in the installation instructions

Note

If the machine complains about not being able to find a bootable medium, you might need to specify the EFI entry in your BIOS. This can be accomplished either by using a live operating system (e.g. Ubuntu) and running the following command (replace <drivename> with the appropriate drive name assigned by Linux, typically this will be sda or nvme0n1 on NVMe SSDs):

efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/<drivename> --part 1 --label "HAOS" \
   --loader '\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi'
Text
The efibootmgr command will only work if you booted the live operating system in UEFI mode, so be sure to boot from your USB flash drive in this mode. Depending on your privileges on the prompt, you may need to run efibootmgr using sudo.

Or else, the BIOS might provide you with a tool to add boot options, there you can specify the path to the EFI file:

\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi

But it’s all Greek to me and I have no idea what any of it means.

I booted back to Ubuntu on a USB key and found what I think is the console program, but I get the message EFI variables are not supported when I try to run efibootmgr.

Is there a GUI for this?

I 'm having a different problem now, so I’m going to open a new thread to cover that.

My solution was to use this guide to set up HAOS using Ubuntu instead of windows.

I succeeded using the same guide, prepping the drive with HAOS from a temporary Ubuntu USB installation on the NUC. I read somewhere Balena Etcher can be something of a hit or miss.

I’ve got HAOS on the disc, but it won’t boot.

I started a new thread for that as it’s a separate issue from this.