Under Cabinet Lighting Recommendation Request

Hi All,
I am looking for kitchen under cabinet lighting recommendations compatible with HA.

My kitchen is L shaped with 4 sections of cabinets. I have 4 electrical drops going to each group of cabinets so they will be hardwired.

Ikea Tradfri LED strips with Zigbee ?

Just did this myself! I ended up going the WLED route which works awesome in home assistant. had 3 different controllers but can have them all sync or even act as one long line from one.

Sorry for mess had a bunch going on installing these:
Parts:
Controllers: https://www.athom.tech/blank-1/wled-high-power-led-strip-controller
PSUs (size depends on length I had a 30, 40, and 60w): Amazon.com
LEDS (white and ip65 since in kitchen): Amazon.com

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! I’ve been trying to figure out what set up I want to go with as well. I have three different sections, each with its own power drop. I think I’ve landed on needing the following:

• 3 RGBW strips
  • 3 controllers
  • 3 PSUs

Where I’m struggling is, I also want to be able to control the whole setup with a light switch in the kitchen. Did you do something like that? Does the switch also need to be smart? I would imagine so, right?

If you have Z-wave already there are switches that have a smart bulb feature, Zooz is the one I use the most. It “disables” the internal relay from being activated by the physical switch and the physical switch turns into a scene controller. You can still control the relay via Z-wave if you need to. So you would set different taps (1x, 2x, 3x, hold, etc) to do different actions. For my Zooz paddle switch a top tap turns on, bottom tap turns off, hold on either does bright/dim, but then I also can set up things like double tap top goes straight to full bright, and still have 3x-5x taps top/bottom that can run other actions if I wanted.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I ended up getting an led strip for 3 sections but then running low voltage power through the wall so I can just have one controller and one PSU. Just need to buy a switch now. Thanks again.

Thanks for the write up, this is helpful.

I have a quick question about the light. Do you have the strips facing the wall, or counter? And do you find that it creates primarily work light, or ambient light?