Understanding entity listings

I´m fairly new to Hass, and appreciate some help understanding the different identity listings…
The four entries shown below is for my Heiman Technology Co. Ltd Smart Smoke Sensor HS1SA-Z smoke detector (link).

What is the difference between the four entries my the entities list?

bottom one is the zwave node properties. Top 3 are sensors that are created from the zwave node. It’s up to you to figure out what the 3 sensors are. The sourcenodeid is typically useless, so you can safely ignore it. The other 2 may or may not be important. Trigger the device and watch the states to figure out what they are.

1 Like

Did you ever manage to get this working?

The binary sensor turns on when smoke is detected and when I press the test button on the alarm - but the values of the other sensors don’t seem to change so I can’t distinguish between a test and smoke being detected.

If anyone else is able to help, I’d much appreciate it!

I would assume that the test button tests the alarm… which means it would look exactly like it was detecting smoke.

Well yes, obviously.

My point is from an automation perpective I don’t want notifications being sent out saying the house is burning down when I test the alarm.

So I’d like to be able to tell the difference between the alarm being triggered by smoke, and the alarm being triggered by pressing the test button.

Yes I understand that but if the hardware isn’t designed for that, there’s nothing you can do.

There is a work around.

I have a “Mute Sirens” input boolean. If it is set a condition in my smoke alarms automation only turns on my alarm strobe lights without setting off the sirens, sending alerts and turning all the house lights on.

I have another automation that turns off the siren mute input boolean after 3 minutes - thus hopefully preventing failed alarms if the Testing mode is left on.

#################################################################
## Smoke Alarm Automation

- id: smoke_alarm_triggered
  alias: 'Smoke Alarm Triggered'
  initial_state: true
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id:
    - binary_sensor.smoke_hall
    - binary_sensor.smoke_lounge
    - binary_sensor.smoke_rumpus
    - binary_sensor.smoke_comms
    to: 'on'
  action:
  - service: switch.turn_on
    entity_id:
    - switch.strobe_upstrs
    - switch.strobe_dnstrs
  - condition: state # Only if test mode is off CAUTION!!!
    entity_id: input_boolean.mute_sirens
    state: 'off'
  - service: switch.turn_on
    entity_id:
    - switch.siren_upstrs
    - switch.siren_dnstrs
## Test Mode Automatic Reset

- id: test_mode_reset
  alias: 'Test Mode Reset'
  initial_state: true
  trigger:
    platform: state
    to: 'on'
    for:
      minutes: 3
  action:
    service: input_boolean.turn_off
1 Like

Nice solution. Are you using zwave devices for your smoke alarms?

Wired. To a Pi running a GPIO to mqtt bridge.