Unexpected behavior on a snapshot restore

I decided to try to transfer my hass.io from the MicroSD card to a shiny new 16Gig USB flash. I got a SanDisk Cruzer Fit because from my read that’s known to work (I previously tried a Kingston Traveller 50, which definitely did not work).

Disclaimer: I’m a Windows guy, most definitely not a Linux guy. I have passing familiarity with the basics, but not some of the more obscure command line stuff.

Did a full snapshot and copied to my Dropbox. Imaged 3.10 to the USB, yoinked the microSD and successfully booted to Hass.io. Added SAMBA, so I could copy the .tar snapshot file back into the /backup folder, and did a Restore. I chose the option to “Wipe and Restore”.
Here’s where things went awry. It appeared to restore most stuff. All the add-ins were reinstalled, and most of the lovelace config. Except it didn’t restore the entire /config folder. None of the .yaml files were restored, and the .db files were the wrong size (so presumably also not restored). None of the previous subfolders were restored.
I found the stuff in the .tar file, so it was backed up.

I recovered (eventually) by re-inserting the microSD and rebooting to the working copy, manually backing up just the /config folder to my network, rebooting again back to the USB, manually restoring /config, then rebooting the USB one more time. That got back 90%, I just had to re-add a couple of integrations.

I seem to be fully operational now, but I’m a bit worried that there’s something amiss with this whole snapshot Restore, because it simply didn’t. :frowning:

Any thoughts on what might have gone wrong? I assume people routinely do what I did.

I ended up having to start from scratch because I buggered up the login credentials somehow, and the usual recovery process completely didn’t work.
On the subsequent attempt, rather than “Wipe and Restore”, I just chose “Restore Selected” and selected everything.
That seemed to work and I’m back in business again. Either I had a glitch, or “Wipe and Restore” isn’t the right thing to do. :slight_smile: