Unexpected error during intent recognition

Hey everyone

I’m not sure if this is the right place for it but I decided to finally set up assist recently (a few days ago) and when I did, everything was working perfectly - I was even able to make custom intents and sentences and they worked well.

However, all of a sudden when I went to try again today (first time since setting it up), no matter what I say/type, i just get this error (see picture below):

Unexpected error during intent recognition (intent-failed)

This is a screenshot of the assistant debug screen, and the raw error message from the error (I’ve removed the pipeline id just in case it’s needed since I’m not sure, but there is a pipeline id normally)

stage: error
run:
  pipeline: 
  language: en
  runner_data:
    stt_binary_handler_id: null
    timeout: 30
events:
  - type: run-start
    data:
      pipeline: 
      runner_data:
        stt_binary_handler_id: null
        timeout: 30
    timestamp: "2023-05-25T00:10:40.959224+00:00"
  - type: intent-start
    data:
      engine: homeassistant
      intent_input: turn on kitchen light
    timestamp: "2023-05-25T00:10:40.959268+00:00"
  - type: error
    data:
      code: intent-failed
    timestamp: "2023-05-25T00:10:40.970928+00:00"
intent:
  engine: homeassistant
  intent_input: turn on kitchen light
  done: false
error:
  code: intent-failed

I don’t know what’s changed or how to fix it, but I can’t even use default assist intents like turning on a light. I’m still quite new to HA and haven’t had to troubleshoot anything like this before so I don’t quite know where the logs for this sits or how to access them, but if someone could point me in the right direction I can add the logs to here as well.

I’ve also restarted HA and tried on multiple browsers/devices and it’s all the same - no matter what I type (whether it’s an actual sentence/intent or not), it just immediately comes back with that error.

If anyone knows how I can fix it or debug more, that would be appreciated! Thanks in advanced!

I also have a similar error here but not resolved :frowning:

I ended up finding the answer! Someone on discord pointed out that when I was making custom intents, I had some files in use that were blank. It errored because it tried to read it but it was empty. They looked at the code and saw a way to fix it and have put it through as a pr hopefully

Here’s the git of it HA assist erroring when you have empty custom sentence files · Issue #93528 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

Not sure if it’s the same issue as what you’ve got, but it’s worth a shot!

3 Likes

This was it! I had an empty sentence field in my automation. When deleting it the problem was gone.

For those bumping into the same error, it’s worth noticing that an error in your (automation trigger) sentence can also cause this error. This error is not noticed when saving your automation.

Reported as a HA core bug here: AssertionError: Text is too short when an autmation has an empty sentence trigger · Issue #103540 · home-assistant/core · GitHub