Unhealthy state

It’s “LTS” for Ubuntu; the designation is not meaningful for Home Assistant Supervised which is officially supported only on Debian.

If anyone wondered what’s the difference between an unsupported installation method and a supported one, this is what it looks like.

Let’s not overlook the fact that the original intent was to deprecate Home Assistant Supervised. The compromise was to continue supporting it but exclusively on Debian. For people like me who still run it on Ubuntu, it’s done with the understanding that it’s subject to modifications that don’t consider Ubuntu’s needs.

FWIW, I’ve been planning to switch to Debian and this recent incident has given me more incentive to do it sooner than later.

2 Likes

I’m not here to criticise except to say that a breaking change notification would have been helpful and professional if it was a known issue.

I don’t think there is even a change log presented and supervisor automatically updates so not sure how you think a notification will help.

Fair point but a forced update that causes issues (albeit I have an unsupported OS) is concerning.

I agree that it would have been nice to know in advance. It seems like the recent release of Supervisor became more stringent about operating conditions. Knowing about this new behavior would have been useful (even if one runs on Debian). The problem is that there’s almost never any information provided about Supervisor updates (short of checking its release notes after it has already been deployed).

1 Like

I too will transition to Debian. However I am not Linux proficient and have around a dozen other apps running on the Ubuntu machine and it all works really well. I just know it’s going to take a lot of time and effort and so notice would have been good. Updating Ubuntu seems only a temporary solution.

Interestingly, it’s 1.10.6-2ubuntu1.4. In fact, it appears that I have the same setup as @123 described above: Ubuntu 18.04.5, Supervisor 2020.12.6, and Docker version 19.03.14.

In my case, I started from HA 0.118.1 and updated the Supervisor first. After that, when I tried to upgrade to HA 0.118.5, and that failed completely. It was then that I checked the System page and saw the “unhealthy installation” warning.

At that point, I noticed that my system had updates available, one of which was Docker, and I wondered if that might make a difference, so I updated and restarted, which seems to have worked.

I hadn’t read this thread or any info about network-manager at that point, or I wouldn’t have thought there would be any benefit. After reading this thread, though, I feel like I’m waiting for the other shoe to fall… :grimacing:

The notice came when ADR-0014 was confirmed many, many months ago. That made things quite clear, Ubuntu among other OSs would not be supported and may cease working at anytime due to the ongoing development of HA.

ADR-0014 states this.
“In case any abnormality is detected that prevents Home Assistant from functioning, the Home Assistant Supervisor will report this to the user and block updates to prevent installations from breaking”

So yes, they knew and so does/should everyone else by now.

It’s annoying, I get it, but enough time has passed to read up on and move your system to a supported method.

With the imminent release of 1.0, it’s not surprising that they have made this change now, I assume with the mindset that anyone who will be running 1.0 will be on a supported version.

1 Like

It doesn’t, don’t bother. I’m on Ubuntu 20.04 and dealing with the same “breaking changes” as everyone else running Ubuntu. Apparently the dev team just shot it in the head in 0.118.5.

Beyond the expected ‘unsupported’ indicator, what else are you seeing with Ubuntu 20.04?

I just upgraded from 18.04 to 20.04 and it eliminated the log error concerning the fact Network Manager’s version (1.10) was less than the minimum supported version (1.14). It also eliminated the ‘unhealthy’ indicator.

Curious to know what continues to plague your instance on 20.04.

FWIW, I believe it was the recent Supervisor update that introduced more stringent checking as opposed to Home Assistant 0.118.5. I’m still running 0.118.4 and things went sideways only after the Supervisor update.

1 Like

In addition to seeing the expected, “Unsupported Installation”, you will most likely see the “Unhealthy Installation” indicator.

That second one will prevent you from upgrading any further. I’m now stuck on 0.118.4 with no real path to upgrade any further, without a total wipe and re-installation on something “supported”.

I don’t have an error on my installation about Network Manager, but I can no longer upgrade. My NeworkManager is version 1.22.10.

What I take offense at is arbitrarily determining I should no longer upgrade. There’s nothing “unhealthy” about my installation. It’s operating normally and is extremely stable. Exactly what is “unhealthy”? That the Supervisor isn’t running with privilege? Many would argue that’s WAY more healthy than allowing it to run WITH privilege.

As per my previous post, I am not seeing the ‘unhealthy’ indicator after upgrading from 18.04 to 20.04.

As for upgrading, don’t overlook the fact that both of us are using an unsupported installation method. Only Debian is supported, not Ubuntu. That means we have to fend for ourselves whenever changes are made that favor Debian. The way to avoid second-class status is to switch to Debian (something I intend to do very soon).

1 Like

Which makes it even more arbitrary, because I do:

How does your installation compare?

Pop in a spare HDD/SSD or spend $20 and get an new SSD. Swap out your existing drive with current install and keep it as a backup in-case for some reason you are unable to complete the new install in a weekend.

Take a snapshot, save it to your PC, fresh install on a new drive. You don’t need to do a “total wipe”.

You don’t see a coincidence with 1.0 being close to being released as the reason? It’s not arbitrary.

According to the guidelines clearly laid out months ago, it is unsupported and unhealthy.

In the time you have taken to continue to complain about what is going on, and how unfair it is, you could have completed a fresh install. Might be time to move on.

1 Like

Restart Supervisor and check its log for warnings and errors. The only one I get reports the presence of Ubuntu and flags it as unsupported.

FWIW, docker is 19.03.14 on my instance. Otherwise, the OS and Supervisor versions are identical.

Whether or not 1.0 is eminent is completely unrelated.
What happened to my installation from the last Supervisor release to this one to make it suddenly “unhealthy” and warrant deprecation entirely?

I WILL move on, as I have no other choice. I’m just pointing out (as in several other threads on this very topic) that it was handled poorly. You can be offended by that, or you can provide assistance, telling everyone to just “deal with it” is unprofessional and a bad indicator for the project as a whole.

I also will point out that the use of terms like “unsupported” and “unhealthy” without proper definitions is problematic as well. There is nothing “unhealthy” about the installation, other than the project doesn’t like the OS it’s running on and have installed code to specifically make it “unhealthy”. It wasn’t unhealthy one dot release ago, but now it is… I didn’t change anything.

1 Like

The only error I get in my Supervisor (other than the expected flag for Ubuntu) is that it cannot run udev with privs:

20-12-07 02:34:59 CRITICAL (MainThread) [supervisor.misc.hwmon] Not privileged to run udev monitor!

I don’t believe it is, but perhaps I’m wrong. It seems related that the project is moving out of a Beta phase that they would want to minimize any of the “old” ways of doing things and wanting to streamline support and installations. The writing has been on the wall for a long time.

Is 6 months notice not enough for you? How much notice do you think is reasonable?

Perhaps you should check out one of the many guides I have published to assist the community to do exactly what is needed to run a supported installation. :wink:

Exactly - the project makes the determination, not you. Just because your system is running well doesn’t mean it is currently, or in the future, in a healthy state for the operation of HA.

1 Like

No matter how healthy you believe it is/was, it was always unsupported and operating on “borrowed time”.

Originally, Home Assistant Supervised was deprecated. However, a compromise was negotiated and it would continue to be supported but only on one Linux distro, Debian. All other distros, no matter how well they seemingly work with Home Assistant, are unsupported and subject to being impacted by alterations to the supported version.

EDIT

I do empathize with you. I’m not exactly thrilled about this either. However I do admit to having procrastinated and relied on using Ubuntu for a bit too long. I should have switched to Debian a long time ago.

2 Likes

Then Supervised itself should have been deprecated entirely, that’s clearly the direction things are headed. Soon it’ll only be available on a prescribed appliance that you buy from a licensed vendor, we’ve all seen things like this happen.

I know it was a point of contention, but the end result is some long-time users who chose to run under Ubuntu now need to install a new OS and lay down HA again. Those that happened to choose Debian (10) are fine. That’s arbitrary. The time provided for the notice isn’t the issue. The fact that it was executed without specific fore-warning is… Six months ago they said, “this won’t work eventually”. If I told you that some day a rock will fall from the sky and land on your foot, would you stop going outside forever? If I told you tomorrow a rock will fall from the sky and land on your foot, you’d probably stay inside tomorrow. Provide a version or a date where it will no longer function. I would have then taken action accordingly, or known not to upgrade at all.

And I have read your guides, and the community (and I) thank you for them (in fact, pretty sure I followed and used your guide to install on Ubuntu). For me at least, this conversion is more than 30 minutes of time.

2 Likes