Unifi AP -- noob question

Understood thanks

If you only have 5 devices on your network, more power to you. Some of us have hundreds or thousands.

Further, I didn’t “call anything out”. You should re-read what I said. Unifi doesn’t use something as nonsense as ping monitors. LOL

I don’t think you fully understand what I wrote. I get the impression there is a bit of a language barrier here as well. I mean - don’t get me wrong, your English is MUCH better than my anything that isn’t English, but still…

If you’re happy with not tracking all your devices, then that’s cool. You do you. But the point is that your suggestion, in this case, doesn’t fit the ask. OP is asking about automated device trackers using a Unifi integration.

@exx and others

…so my intent with the question was to find how to implement tracking of my phone (iPhone) so that my Alarmo integration arms and/or disarms the alarm automatically as I leave or return home, based on my phone being within wi-fi reach and within the radius of my “home” zone ?

From the discussion above, I take it the best way would be to just add the Unifi Network integration ? and use the appropriate entity to control Alarmo ?

note – I only have two Unifi APs, nothing else Unif/Ubiquity, pfSense is my gateway/firewall

Cheers!

You could set up SNMP on the pfsense and pull the ARP table through there.
It is what I do and because SNMP is a general standard, then you can do it on all your gear.
I pull network info from both Ubiquiti and Cisco, as well as info from my printers and computers.

You have two APs but no LAN controller? So how do devices roam between them?

In any event, no, you cannot use the Ubiquiti Network integration without a Unifi controller. You should get one though - you can run the software version as a VM or a container. This would allow you to control the APs, make it easier for roaming, as well as provide you with greater reporting/detail than you get straight out of the APs themselves.

Maybe they roam like old days, which means the devices decide the signal is weak and switch to one of the stronger ones.
A WLAN controller is only really needed with more than 3 APs.
3 APs can be evenly distributed in the frequency band by manually assigning them channels, like 1,6 and 11 (or 1,7 and 13 if all your devices support channel 12 and 13).

The forum really needs a laugh react like social media has.

Thank you for the replies. I do use the Unifi Network cotroller software (not a piece of hardware), but devices conenct to whatever AP they chose, unless I have set them up (via the Unifi network cotroller) to onliy attach to a give AP. This is all in my home, so I do not have hundreds of devices, I have about 30 so far. When you say I should get a 'Unifi Controller" is that hardware or the network software I am already using ?

…I am hardly an expeert on any of this, so sorry if my questions my seem trivial LOL !

So… The APs are not the only thing on your network.

Yes, the software you are using is what I’m talking about.

Point the unifi network integration at that and you’ll be all set.

@WallyR @exx MANY Thanks to both for the replies !

OK, one last question ?..

I run HASS on a HASS-Blue, and I run the Unifi controller on a PC on same network. Will the HASS Unifi Network integration guide me how to find the Unifi Network contrroller app on my PC ? I guess, am not sure how I can “point the HASS Unifi integration” to the Unifi Network controller running on my PC…

Add the UniFi Network integration - it should ask for the IP address and the credentials to connect to the UniFi network controller.

Also, if you are running HAOS on the blue UniFi has a controller addon - you could move that function to the Blue.

Thank you for teh note @NathanCu . I just tried that and below is the result… it could not connect (I did enter the user, pw) …

I will look for the addon you mention, that may be best way; Thanks !

and this is the controller runnin gon my pc

Make sure of you’re running the network controller on a windows box you have allowed access through the windows firewall to connect to it remotely (from memory I believe it wants tcp 443 inbound to the windows box but please review docs before opening any port.) from the IP address of your HA box. Or you may not be able to connect. (and yeah I figured once you knew it was available as an addon it would be your preferred option to running on the windows machine…)

…OK, so I got the add-on installed, and started. However when I actually open the web-ui and log in all OK, but the application has a “server IP” that is not right for my HASS server (see pics below). This seems new for the version 8, as it is not on the version 7.5 I am running on my PC. And so it does not find my APs. I’ve searched all, and I do nto see where I can change the IP address to that of my server 192.168.1.60… it’s always something… LOL

…maybe I can load a backup from my PC ?

That’s the IP address of the docker interface for the addon. It’s correct. If I remember correctly you change it to the IP of your HA box.

Full instructions are here. And if you need help they’re best asked in this thread.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/home-assistant-community-add-on-unifi-controller

OK, how do I get my SSID and APs info into it if it cannot find them ?

1 Like

See the edit I just posted. Read the docs.

@NathanCu OK, will do, THANKS !!

40 minuters later…
There is no option to change the “Server IP”, I’ve looked everywhere in both the HASS add-on and my PC instance. I looked into the migrating/exporting the site, but did not seem like an option. I believe the instructions in the link must be old/obsolete.

However I did succeed in loading a back-up from my PC instance into the HASS add-on, and that worked, all the APs and SSID information and settings uploaded fine and it is working fine. The Server IP remained the 172.30.33.6, yet my network is 192.168.1.0, and that is where the APs,and the rest of my IoT devices are.

However, while this is a good thing (I think) to have running in my little HASS-Blue, it did not solve my initial quest, of having an entity I could use to track whether my iPhone was present in my wi_fi, and therefore at home, or not. The only entity that the HASS add-on provided was one to update to the newer version.

So am backtracking and thinking that using the “Unifi AP” integration that I started with at the top of the post may be the simple way to go, hopefully I can get it to work.

Again THANK YOU ALL for the help ! It is definitely appreciated by this old but keen “noob” LOL!

Since you have the Server running, install the Unifi Network integration and connect it to you server. It will give you all the different devices as devicetrackers.

1 Like

@AlmostSerious …ahh, now I see. I though the add-on and the integration were the same thing, but implemented differently. Thanks for that !!!

1 Like