UniFi Network integration - official thread

Is there a minimum Unifi Controller software version requirement for Home Assistant 2023.4.0? I’m running 5.9.29 and upgraded my Home Assistant from 2023.3.6 to 2023.4.6. Once I did that, all my wifi connected devices would briefly show that they were home but then change to not_home. I then downgraded Home Assistant back to 2023.3.6 and my wifi devices worked as expected and showed that they were home.

You should always run latest stable controller

Hello all!

Better late than never comes a release note for Home Assistant 2023.5.0.

As part of the final pieces of rework also means new issues might arise so if you have the possibility to run the dev track or beta and try the client device tracker I’d appreciate it.

Cheers!

/Robban

For feature requests of the integration post an issue at aiounifi github

If you appreciate my work I’m on Github Sponsors.

aiounifi library change log

Curious to hear if there is any updates on Unifi OS v3 features. I’m not sure what the state of OS v3 on UDM-Pro is, but at least from this thread it appears like it might be at least in beta?

I’m super eager to see them land in the integration and would be happy to help and contribute.

UNIFI OS 3.0.20 was released a couple of weeks ago. I have hardly been at home since then :slight_smile:

Right now my throughput is really low so hard to say when things will happen.

Hello all!

Here comes a release note for Home Assistant 2023.6.0.

Only a small issue has been fixed, reported by @MrMcGyver and resolved by @N3rdix if starting up the integration when having a non-onboarded UniFi device it would still show up in device list but lack expected properties, thus resulting in an error.

Cheers!

/Robban

aiounifi library change log

3 Likes

Hey all!

Here comes the proper release notes for Home Assistant 2023.8.0.

Got some time back to do some development so with this release I bring you three WLAN related features. I think all three are provided through other solutions from the community but it feels logical to try to collect them together in the integration as well.

Cheers!

/Robban

aiounifi library v50 change log

Fixes for 2023.8.1

aiounifi library v51 change log

Fixes for 2023.8.2

aiounifi library v52 change log

6 Likes

I just noticed that I have new devices under UniFi WLAN and it looks like on/off for my SSIDs. I also see a QR code option that can be enabled and a number of clients for each SSID.

I am guessing I can use H/A to turn on or off various SSIDs, like Guest at night or when people are not home.

Nice.

Hey, folks.
Is it possible enable/disable network visibility with this integration? My internet setup is all UniFi (USG, switch, APs)
My projector is the only device I have that only able to connect to a visible wifi network. It’s on my IoT network. Don’t want to shaw my IoT network all the time, even though it’s restricted. I’d like to make my IoT network visible when projector is booting and then hide it when it’s off.
Thanks for advices…

According to a number of sources, hiding your wifi (not broadcasting your SSID) is not an effective security practice. It’s better to follow security best practices like:

1 Like

According to a number of sources, it’s bad practice to respond to a very specific technical question with “you should not do it at all”.
I also hide the IoT network and it’s not for security (although defending oneself from annoying kids who thinks they’re hackers it’s a bonus) but merely because I don’t like to see it in the list when I scan. Call it ocd, but it’s still legit.

Now, to get back to @alexbeatle 's question: I don’t see a way to achieve it via the integration. You can disable the network altogether but not change its parameters. There could be an API for that which you could research though.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I follow most of these.
Hiding network is mostly for preference.

Not going to say “you should not” but rest assured that any person who is tech savvy enough to hack into your wireless network is not going to care whether or not you SSID is being broadcast because there are tools out there, now, that will find them.

I have one network on WPA3 (need to for 6GHz radios), which has higher security. I just cannot see a majority of these IoT devices out in the wild ever being able to support WPA3, even if it is just 2.4GHz or 5GHz…most IoT devices do not come with anything except a 2.4GHz radio in them.

For anyone wanting a custom card for your wlan QR code Guest wifi card with QR code

Anyone here use the switch for wlan?
Curious to know if this is all wifi or can be done by ssid?
Also if it does work per ssid does it knock out all wifi or just that ssid?
Using another system now that does each ssid, but takes down all wifi for a few seconds and wondering if unifi did the same.

Thanks

I’ve noticed when I switch one of the ssid switches off it does knock out all the ssids briefly

1 Like

I’ve noticed the same thing.
The entity I use is only for one SSID, but it loooks like it’s resets the wifi radio so all go SSID’s go down for +/- 30 secons

I have described in bit more detail how I made this card, so that hopefully others can make this card as well. Not everyone is handy with this sort of thing.

Guest wifi card with QR code

87fec94f95070804088dd06378c1f4968bb40c82

Hey all!

Another month and another release so here comes the UniFi release notes for Home Assistant 2023.9.0.

Got some decent amount of new features with this release and some long awaited improvements. There is no longer any need to time switching PoE controls as the integration will queue them up and send new commands every 5 seconds. Added a restart device button, it is a soft restart so it will not break PoE if restarting a PoE switch. @Cisien came out from nowhere and developed some awaited extensions to PDU devices with both switching functionality for newer outlets as well as a lot of power sensor reporting. Also now its possible to control port forwarding.

Try these features out during the beta, feedback is appreciated.

Cheers!

/Robban

aiounifi library v53-v60 change log

5 Likes

I’m using the unifi integration to generate a QR code for the guest network. Trying to see if there is a way to “save” the qr image to a png (or other file) in www/local or something along those lines, or is it only generated run-time?

The end goal is to be able to generate the image out of HA (which works fine) but actually host it on a separate page on a LINX dashboard?

It’s generated at runtime so never written to file system. Not sure if there is any service you can use to copy it to file system.