Unifi Switches POE control

Yes i do have.
Can you tell me how?

The AP is connected to the PoE switch.
I see that switch in my controller which is running on my Homeassistant instance.

Do you have this integration running?

yes i do

It also says :

CONTROL CLIENTS POWERED BY POE

Entities appear automatically for each connected POE client. If no POE client device is in operation, no entity will be visible. Note: UniFi infrastructure devices such as access points and other switches are not (yet) supported, even if they are powered over ethernet themselves.

Note that POE control actually configures the network port of the switch which the client is connected to.

Meaning APā€™s cant be controlled? What i think is strange, thatswhy i ask here help :wink:

There is no support to control POE output to enable/disable UniFi network infrastructure devices yet.

But other devices too?
How come?
Its not that you control the device?
Its simply turning on/off PoE on the switch right?

Its only UniFi devices, ordinary network clients on a POE port can be controlled.

Time is the main reason, it hasnā€™t been prioritised.

Would it be possible to control theunifi AP if run it with a POE injector? Or would it be the same?

POE injectors provide their own POE, so not from a network switch so that would be something different. If you mean a POE splitter I think they typically are transparent to the network and thus would only see the AP so then no :slight_smile:

Are you the one who will implement that in time? :slight_smile:

Yes, and its on my todo but I canā€™t promise when

1 Like

Hi guys,

Was following this thread but Iā€™m still not sure.
So is there a way to turn off/on poe port on the switch or not?
I assume this should be an easy task to do from api, but it seems so complicated somehow.
Did I miss anything?

Thanks,
Didi

You can if the port is NOT used by a Unifi device.
For instance all my POE cameras (non Unifi) are plugged in on my Unifi switch and I can easily shut them down by turning off the port.

1 Like

You need to enable it in options for the integration.

Hi @Shaad thatā€™s exactly what I want, a simple command that I can later use as a button in Lovelace card to turn off/on the port. And yes, I donā€™t use unifi cameras I have different brands on my network, I just use the poe feature to power them.
Can you please provide me with an example on how you utilize this in your environment?

Thanks!
Didi

@Robban so I need to have the integration within HA to have this feature?
I already have the unifi controller running always on one of my VM servers.

Yes. How else would you set up the communication between home assistant and unifi?

I thought that I could just send curl or ssh from a script. The controller and HA are on the same network, so the HA can reach the controller without an issue. Isnā€™t it enough? Maybe Iā€™m missing something, the integration in HA is basically to have the unifi controller running from the HA itself, right? Or I still need to have a controller installed somewhere else and this integration just publish some services from the controller on the VM?

You connect the integration with your main controller, you need to make sure to have a local account that the integration can authenticate with. The Integration then exposes a number of features from the controller into hass. What features you want to use are configurable. If youā€™re only interested in POE control you can disable everything else.

Perfect! Iā€™ll check it out later today. @Robban Thank you so much!

1 Like

I integrated the Unifi controller, but whenever I try to toggle the port off, it turns on automatically after a second or two :confused:

I do see that once I toggle it to off, the port actually turns off, but when I try again (with hope that it will turn it back on :)) it doesnā€™t change anything. I have to manually turn it on from the controller.

Any thoughts?