I know it probably has much to do with Homeassistant but reading this post and checking the Unifi integration, I made my jump to Unifi gear. So far I love it but the issues I am having are mind bloggling.
So I ditched my old router and embraced Unifi… Everything was working smoothly on my old router. I was able externally access my Homeassistant thru NGINX, Google Assistant was working and so were the HTML5 notifications, etc.
After I installed my Unifi USG they all came down and I have yet to figure out why it works as intended on my old router and not the newly USG which replaced it.
Right now whenever I try to reach my instance I get any the following error:
So far this is my setup:
- ONT -> USG -> TPLink Unmanaged Switch -> Hassio
I am using the Nginx proxy manager on Hassio, default ports.
I set the port forwarding (80 and 443) to my Hassio (where NGINX is). Every proxy host have valid certificates and show as online.
The port forwarding automatically created the Firewall rules in the USG.
The funny thing is this: If I access it from my own LAN, EVERYTHING WORKS! I’m accessing my external domain from own network! It goes to the internet then back home and works!
But not if I access it from an external network… I tried my phone, friends phone, my office and nada, it just doesn’t work.
Now I am absolutely sure it is not the DNS. I can resolve the hostname to my real IP since now I am on AWS Route53 so no proxy servers in between.
If I go to
These websites can resolve the hostname to my current public IP address as well.
- From my network it shows one hop to my ISP and that’s it. I can access all the proxy hosts specified in NGINX which includes Homeassistant, Nextcloud, Plex, PiHole, all of them hosted accross several PCs or SBCs.
- From ANY external networks (over 4G on my phone, someone elses WiFi with my laptop, friends phone, from my office with my work laptop) it makes 14 hops all the way to my ISP and then nothing, it stops at my ISP.
I cleared the cached and flushed the DNS of my devices. Also I did a full restart of everything, my router, AP, clients, etc. Absolutely everything to discard issues with that. I have also tried using Google DNS (22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199), Cloudflare (188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206) but still no luck.
If I switch to my old router, everything works!
If I bypass NGINX and forward port 80 to my Hassio on 8123 it works if I access it from my own network but not externally. So it ain’t NGINX and it is not the DNS, it is definitely my Ubiquiti USG.
I have no VLANs, no IPS enabled, I have made rules to ACCEPT all from any IPv4 network to any other IPv4 network with no luck… I am really banging my head against the wall, I do not know what to do anymore… MQTT always works somehow (port forwarding 1883 to 1883), PLEX works as I enabled UPnP on the LAN network,
This is remaining firewall settings:
I’d really like some help on this, I have literally went thru everything back and forth for 3 days with no luck.