UniFi Video Motion Detection GIF Notifications

I’m using UniFi Video for my home security camera setup and wanted a way to get notifications with a preview of the motion that was captured. I made a little python application to watch the UniFi Video directory, convert the footage to a GIF and then send an MQTT message to Home Assistant (which relays the GIF to Telegram).

Blog:

Code:

Plan on adding some more features soon, but working well for me now in production!

2 Likes

Great idea!! The service could be made generic to work with any video and convert it to GIF. Users can then choose what to do with it.

Yea it could. Right now it’s reading a JSON file that is specific to UniFi Video, basically to get the camera name that triggered the motion recording and what clips to convert to a GIF. But definitely could support more NVR software.

Cool idea. What unifi camers do you have? I’m struggling with this right now, I’m getting sick of the cheap ip cameras that fail or have exploits but the unifis are so pricey.

I’ve got the UVC-G3-DOME and looking to add some of the UVC-G3-AF that are better for outdoors.

I’m pretty happy with the camera so far, but like you said they arn’t the cheapest cameras on the market. From what I understand part of this is because the motion processing is done on the camera side rather than the NVR. Another downside is that you need to use their UniFi Video / UniFi Protect software. So far, they have supported running UniFi Video on your own hardware, but they currently arn’t supporting that for UniFi Protect which is the next iteration of the software.