Unique id change resulting in lost sensor

Hi!

I have always used unique_id:s with my sensor name as id, but yesterday I was enlighted by a video that visual studio code can generate those id:s randomly, any it is probably the correct way to do it.

Now that I have changed all of my unique id:s to random generated ones via VSC, the sensor values are lost in HA. Any way to edit registry or what else to do? Revert to my unique_id with sensor names…?

Restore your last snapshot backup.

Thanks, I know, but are there any way to stick with the random unique_id:s?

Solved! By changing unique id:s there are a duplicate sensor with generated in core.entity_registry, by deleting the 2:nd sensor everything works.

Now I have to plow through the registry and do all the deletings.

?

You appear to have created “busy work” for yourself in the interests of following some video’s questionable advice.

The only requirement for a unique_id is that it be unique. The same is true for entity_id. If you base the unique_id on the entity_id, mission accomplished.

Beyond that, unique_id isn’t used anywhere except by Home Assistant for housekeeping purposes so the appearance of its value is unimportant. If some are random numbers, and/or random strings, and/or based on entity_id, it doesn’t matter at all, as long as they are individually unique; none is “more correct” than the other.

2 Likes