Universal Powerline Bus (UPB) Integration Setup Help

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f73941b6908>

I am trying to integrate Universal Powerline Bus (UPB) with my HA.

Following the configuration instructions here I performed the following steps

  1. I downloaded UPStart software and used it to configure my UPB network
  2. Used UPSTART to create an Export File with the .upe extension
  3. Moved the .upe file into my home assistant director "/home/pi/homeassistant/filename.upe
  4. In HA went to Configurations, Integrations, and clicked the + button
  5. Entered my serial port and path info then hit SUBMIT

I get the following error

It is not clear if this is a file path issue or if the integration script is rejecting the .upe file for some reason.

  • I have already confirmed that my filepath is correct but perhaps the .upe file needs to be in a different sub-directory?
  • I did a little digging on the internet and found the UPSTART Export File Description. My .upe file matches the file description. Maybe the integration script is not seeing something in the file that its expecting to see?

I would greatly appreciate some help.

Setup Info:

  • Raspberry Pi 4 running Raspbian
  • HA running in Docker container

I have been looking through the files on GitHub but have not been able to find anything that would help with the error im getting. As far as I can tell my .upe file contains the correct information in the correct format. There is nothing that says that my filepath is incorrect but I expect that is the issue.

There is no README for the integration repository on GitHub and my python is not good enough to find the problem. I did look at the upb-lib README and see that its expecting a file name of upb.upe? I tried changing my file name to match but that did not fix the issue.

Still looking for any help that the community can provide.

@gwww If you could take a look at the issue im having it would be much appreciated.

The upe file is created using Export to file from UPStart. It appears that you have named your file filename.upe, which is a little curious name for the file. That name will work assuming that it is an export from UPStart.

The file should be copied to the root directory of where the Home Assistant config is on your RPI.
You should see files such as configuration.yaml there (among a number of other files).

To configure Home Assistant after the file is copied to the location as described above would be /filename.upe. The file is named relative to the root of the Home Assistant config.

Let us know how it goes.

@gwww sorry for the confusion. filename.upe was just for the example above. The actual file for my system is named TestExport.upe for now. Once I get things working I might give it a more descriptive name.

The TestExport.upe file is in the root directory for HA alongside the configuration.yaml and other root files.

I have to admit this was a bit of a forehead slap moment. Not sure why I did not try more iterations of the file path before looking for help. The /TestExport.upe did not work but TestExport.upe without the backslash did. I have it up and running now. Thank you for your help.

I think I was confused by the integration instructions that ask for the path and name of the file. The path seems to imply the full path to the file. That is why I was attempting to access the file through /home/pi/homeassistant/TestExport.upe

Thanks for the help!

Good to hear that you’ve got it working. /config/<file>.upe works for me.