Universal Solar Inverter over Modbus RS485 / TCP custom_component (Growatt, Sofar, SolaX, Solis)

The adapter box don’t use Modbus connection, it’s the EV charger use it.

and i have to change an option from modbus to ev charger to have it functional so i don’t think i can have both connected

For anyone looking at buying an RS485 to Ethernet Adaptor please check the Wiki for known working and not working adaptors.

Please pay special attention to the non working ones. We are starting to find a couple of models that don’t work!

If anyone is having success with an adaptor not on the list then please let me know and I can add it.
This will help out other users :hugs:

I have an USR -N510 RS232/RS485/RS422 Single Serial to Ethernet Converter (older version with the DB-9 serial connector). That works fine. It’s only connected to the SolaX inverter, and there’s only one TCP client connected (this integration). Update rate is set to 30 seconds. Never have any issues with it.

Manufacturer web site: 1 Port Ethernet Device Servers | Serial to Modbus Converters

There’s also a newer version that is more powerful but seems to use a different UART because it has fewer options for its configuration:

https://www.pusr.com/products/1-rs485-serial-port-etherne-device-servers-usr-n510.html

Looking at the specs that should work too though.

Thanks, I’ll add the first one as working. I’ll add the second under the " Untested but should work according to the specs…" section, untill someone can confirm it works.

1 Like

I am not making any promises or anything, but we are looking into the possibility of adding a passive mode.

It’s intended for a different situation, but it might allow you to monitor your setup when the EV Charger is connected and we might even learn how they communicate?

I don’t have a Feature Request template on my GitHub. But could you try and adapt the Issue template one with any relevant information you might think is important? Otherwise the idea could be lost in hundreds of comments.

Nice. I was wondering whether something similar could be done for the Modbus connection between the SolaX inverter and the kWh meter. I don’t feel like connecting another kWh meter just for the SolaX inverter, I already have a smart meter that I can read out using a Home Assistant integration.
What if we can emulate the kWh meter using Home Assistant?

a better solution is to share your modbus values via mqtt. Your EV Charger subscripbes to that mqtt messages. Do not connect directly your EV Charger at solax inverter.

I had the same problem. I just wrote my own solution.

Out of curiosity where does it state the SolaX EV Charger connects to MQTT?

I can’t find any mention in the user manual.

Indeed in many cases, a modbus to MQTT gateway can provide a solution. For other cases, a passive modbus sniffer can provide a solution. I have developed one as an addon for @wills106/homeassistant_solax_modbus integration, but it can also be used to spy on a modbus kWh meter (eg. Eastron). It just listens to existing communication on the modbus RTU and publishes the result as on a modbus/TCP interface. This addon could work for any inverter or modbus RTU device there is no solax specific code inside. See GitHub - infradom/ha-addon-modbusspy: Serial Modbus Spy - Publish captured data as Modbus TCP server

For info I could connect the Solax Modbus extension to a Solis hybrid inverter with the official RJ45 dongle SN 1920XXXXXX I just had to change the port to 8899

Are you confirming your Inverter works with the Integration?

As the starting of your Inverter Serial isn’t in the Integration, did you manually add it in?
If so which plugin did your Inverter work with? plugin_solis or plugin_solis_old ?

William & contributors…
I just finished (with electrician of course) installing the Eastron SDM230 Modbus (Solax compatible as listed here Solax X1 AC & X1 Hybrid Energy Meter With Accessories | eBay).
It works for just over a minute but then the inverter shuts down with “Meter Fault” and being a Gen 2, needs a complete power down to re-boot and clear the errror.
The meter came with a nice spool of 2-core cable which I perhaps foolishly thought would be a Solax pre-pack, but reading Eastron’s protocol document it looks like the cable should be a twisted and shielded pair. Does the meter also need a 120 ohm resistor across A&B? I couldn’t see any mention of it being built-in. My cable DOES run in the same trunking as the AC and DC cables, and only part of the length could be changed to avoid that. Am I on the right track do you think?

A resistor is not needed afaik. For short distances (a couple of meters), it should not matter too much whether the pair is twisted or not. For longer distances (above 5) it is certainly recommended to use twisted pair cable…
Are you sure you did not swap the a and b lead ?
It seems like the Eastron devices delivered by Solax have a different firmware, but I have no real proof that this is true.
Are you sure the modbus address of the meter is set correctly?

The distance is between 4 & 5 metres; A&B are definitely correct, the addess is 001 and baud rate 9600.
Back in June a guy from Eastron used these exact words relating to whether or not Solax-specific firmware is needed: "the solar version of the SDM230 has specific programming.
Some of the recently manufactured meters are compatible.To tell on start up you should see CE0254."
I’ll try dragging as much of the cable as I can out of the trunking, see if that makes a difference.

SolaX1

I don’t understand you question with the serial … ? I did’nt needed to enter it it retreived automtically from the inverter. I Used plugin Solis, entered IP and port 8899 and voilà.

I happen to have problem with the Eastron SDM230 modbus as well (was delivered with my Solis).

I asked my reseller to send me an Acrel one (on the Solis we can change the sensor type in the menu), I should receive it tomorrow. If I have the same error again I might consider wiring as I used untwisted pair for 7-8 meters… Didn’t thought it might cause problem.

I moved most of the cable out of the trunking and it made no difference. In fact I see that when I’m looking at Grid power it comes up on the display instantly with the CT, but not at all with the meter. I need to check that putting the tight and awkward cover back on my housing for the meter and breaker hasn’t dislodged a connection…
My meter supplier has confirmed that the very long (maybe 10m) cable is supplied by Solax, so they must expect it to not need screening even over that length.
Checked connections again, all good. Shortened the data cable by removing a metre that I’d left coiled, but no difference. The one minute of operation is just how long it takes for the inverter to decide it has no grid monitoring. Stumped.

Are you connecting both a Modbus Power meter and a CT clamp to your Inverter?

No, (Don’t you have a Gen2?) The CT clamp and meter both use the same RJ45 terminal on the inverter.
Pins 1&8 for the CT, or 4&5 for the modbus. Although it would be possible therefore to wire both, the text and correspondence with Solax makes it clear that it’s one or the other. Fortunately I left the CT in place, so I can swap connectors whilst I try to get this sorted. Sorry to clutter up the thread with this slightly off-topic issue.

I have a Gen3. Although there are users with the older Gen2 such as the SK-SU.

I just wanted to double check you weren’t trying to use both at the same time.