Universal zigbee gateway

I must be tired today, because I cant see any standalone wifi gateway on the webpage. All seems to be usb stick

yeah i just checked and can only see a usb model for 69 euro.

Its cryptic but it seems that it can be used for both

That is the stand-alone wifi version.
All it seems to need is usb 5v.

quote fro the marketing blurb :
" With the pack WiFi , you make your ZiGate autonomous. You can place your ZiGate in a strategic location without worry of the location of your home automation box.

This pack includes:

• 1 + housing fixing screws
  • 1 ZiGate Radio Module
  • 1 WiFi module
  • one USB-TTL converter"

That’s true. But you need something to run HA on anyway, so you can just use that device and pass trough the usb.

However being able to place it wherever you want needing only a power socket seems nice to have.

It’s not a battle, the more there is to choose, the better I think.

My HA instance lives in a VM hosted on a machine that is nowhere near the living areas of the house.
There is no way I’ll move the server out of the rack & into the home, for the sake of using a USB port for a zigbee dongle.

Hi! I used the xiaomi doorbell zigbee gateway for a while, then switched to zigbee2mqtt, since the gateway started talking chinese randomly (scared the crap out of everyone at home).

But zigbee2mqtt isn’t working, won’t pair to devices using discovery or manually. The range is also horrible and I can only pair 15 devices (impossible to unpair also).

Is it worth giving Zigate a shot? I am running an Intel NUC with Hass.io inside docker. Any help would be much appreciated:))

You should look at deconz and it’s hardware (which is also compatible with zha)

unless you have no usb port for the deconz hardware.

I don’t understand the point to buy a zigate when there is Zigbee2mqtt which is the same hardware and the software works really good, and it’s much cheaper…

Because some people do not own

• a CC debugger
  • CC2531 USB sniffer
  • Downloader cable CC2531

and other people might not want their zigbee gateway to be reliant on a Raspberry Pi.

Count me in to both categories.

And people do not own a zigate so how they do ??? they buy a zigate lol

You are totally wrong dude, the price for CC debugger and CC2531 is twice as less expensive than the zigate.
If people don’t know how to buy that stuff on aliexpress, plug a cable and click on a button to flash a firmware, they are not enough competent to set up a home assistant system.

And by the way, you can run zigbee2mqtt on any hardware you have your home assistant, like a NUC.

FWIW.
+1 for zigbee2mqtt.

It has good Doc’s to follow along with.

It took me a hour or so to read and flash the CC2531.
And a few days of skimming through the wiki’s and git issues before setting up the software.
I went with the Hass.io package of zigbee2mqtt. It was a breeze to install and setup.

I only have 6 zigbee devices, four a19 bulbs, a Osram rgb bulb and a GE/Wink wall switch. All work as good or better then the Wink hub I was using before.

I’m happy I went with zigbee2mqtt.

I have no intention of purchasing all that stuff for one-time use. How wasteful is that ??

If there was a way to get a Zigbee2mqtt gateway pre-flashed, then I might consider it and advise others to go that route.

I would still be stuck with the USB problem, Home Assistant runs in a VM and thus has no access to USB. Even if it did, the server is located at the extremity of the house, signal quality would certainly be an issue.
So, that leaves me with the choice of a Pi + Zigbee2mqtt ? I already said that this is not an option.

tl;dr : The only standalone zigbee gateway that i know of, is this Zigate thing.

Zigate is far to expensive for most of us, $108 AUD then shipping costs

That is OK, each to their own and no solution will suit everyone. You could of course run zigbee2mqtt on your server and routers around the house.

But please people, stop snapping at each other.

I tried zigbee2mqtt and did flash the CC2531. But my issue is that it only has support for 15 devices and it’s unclear how to remove devices.

With all that said I have limited knowledge about zigbee in home assistant.

If anyone could point me to some resources to learn about it or a comparison between the solutions I would be very happy.

1 Like

Talk to @h4nc, who has made very professional version pre-flashed and with extended range antenna.

or see here (for german market):

3 Likes

see my post here:

Thanks @hijinx for that kind recommendation.

Both of your options “talking too me” and “ebay kleinanzeigen” will end up in contacting me, because the ad at ebay kleinanzeigen is also mine.

@Tommmii feel free to contact me any time.
However, I added this to my ad in the zigbee2mqtt forum.
Maybe this post is an answer for your question:

I have no intention of purchasing all that stuff for one-time use. How wasteful is that ??

Hopefully and most probable (because their not a lot of posts about that = not a lot of people experienced that issue) your stick will never crash, but until we don’t know what causes a crash (@koenkk ) I recommend having a CC Debugger as a backup.

1 Like