Unknown device entity (device_tracker) discovered

Hey Everyone

I recently discovered an unknown device entity (device_tracker.hdb_4540a380) in my device trackers. This device was also added to my personal admin account device list (the ones to track).

I can’t seem to find additional information about this device
2021-03-01 at 12.52

I guessed that the second part of the unknown device is a MAC address. But this address does not belong to any of my devices in my network.

Even though this account is secured with 2FA, it makes me feel uncomfortable having the hass accessible from outside.

What would be your proposal?

I think I read somewhere that iPhones are notorious for changing their MAC addresses when they get a new wifi lease. I’ not sure about that but I just think I remember hearing it.

Maybe that’s what is happening?

thanks for your reply. Yes, I was aware about this Wifi Mac address change on iPhones. Therefor i already disabled “private WLAN address” in the wifi settings some months ago for my home Wifi…

Shouldn’t you be worried, how the device got access to your network?

Does the router or “knwon_devices.yaml” shed any light? Do you have a guest wifi network? Could it be the router reporting on that?

Did your recently add a device to your network?
I remember when adding an huawei tablet (just for having an hadashboard, so companion app not installed) it added an device tracker starting with hdb_

My HASS instance is actually accessible from outside my network. So I doubt that it is related to my private network (if someone would have been in my private network I would be able to see this in my logs). I can’t seem to find a known_devices.yaml file. Where exactly would this be located?

hmmm but how would it be possible that this device was assigned to my admin account in HASS? But no I haven’t added any Huawei device to my network (don’t even have one). Would the Home Assistant Cast user be able to do that maybe? (I don’t even know what the purpose of this user exactly is to be honest)

I think, the existence of the file known_devices.yaml depends on the device_trackers, that you use. The file should be top level in the /config/ folder.

ok thanks. It seems that I’m not using device trackers that are relying on known_devices file then…

what exactly does it say under entities in the column integration?
Is this the ONLY entity from the device or do you have others ending in .hdb_4540a380?
What platforms do you use voor device_tracker: in config?

track_new_devices: true ?

Did u import code from elsewhere to test?
Remember that a lot of devices can autogeneratie a tracker even when not directly connected!
by wifi: all devices once connected to your network (I have I some like this)
BT: My wife’s treadmill, which I have never paired with any device and my wife’s car which was paired with her iphone which was linked in HA.
Virtual: I created a virtual parrot in an emulated android device on my laptop and it showed up too

U could maybe try to add it to a new person and check the map?
btw the cast user is needed for casting to devices (is is generated by the sytem cause it needs admin rights)

Thanks for your reply. As seen in the screen shot in my initial post, I only have one entity for this device. so no map data or similar is available.

hmm ok that’s good to know. even thought this does not make sense to me at all :crazy_face:

I haven’t defined a particular device tracking platform. I’m just using the default one with the companion app.

hmm sorry maybe my english isn’t that good …

1 try making a person an add the tracker, then check if map show it

2 Check the source of the tracker

it will maybe help you detect if how it was added in HA (and so define which device tracker platform)
U can also look in the known_devices.yaml file and check if mac address really is from an iphone and if it star withc BT_ or not

1. check all your files for “device_tracker.” (samba share or sth that u can search content of files). this way u can rule out that it is not coming form a coded (binary) sensor.
  2. check your iphone (i am not an ios user) for paired/linked devices

Sadly it didn’t helped. Device just returned unknown if assigned to a new user. Searching for device_tracker didn’t helped neither. I wasn’t able to see any Mac addresses for the connected BT devices on my phone. Maybe on Android this would be possible. I guess i will just remove the suspicious device_tracker and implement VPN on Demand and close for the outside. Thanks a lot for your time and all the suggestions!