Unknown warning message with poor information (Lovelave is running in storage mode)

Hi,

I have this warning message showing up:

but no idea what´s the reason.
In the detail window I can not see any information which can help…, for example whitch card, dashboard, integration etc. is concerned!?
In the file editor I had a look on a lot of files, hoping to find any plausible code line, but unfortunately without success.

I found 2 topics concerning same message, but it didn’t help me:
Lovelace is running in storage mode. Define resources via user interface
Warning: Lovelace is running in storage mode. Define resources via user interface

I need your help please.
What will this message mean? From what will it be triggered? How can I solve this?

Many thanks

Hi,
I continued searching informations on the internet, but without any success.
And now, I’m quite confused about yaml-mode and ui-mode… :see_no_evil:
I would be very grateful if someone could shed some light on this matter.
Unfortunately, I don’t really understand the difference between the two modes and which ones to be used how/when, and whether you can combine them?
I would be very interested to know what is wrong in my configuration that is causing me to receive this message… because everything still seems to work.
Many thanks

to me it looks like Lovelace is complaining about missing resources (dashboard—> 3 dots —> resources).
Just guessing you are using a custom card, but the resources for it are missing??

But then again, that is just my guess….haven’t seem the error ever myself :wink:

1 Like

Hello @aceindy

Many thanks for the tip!
It wasn’t exactly what you assumed, but it was definitely going in the right direction :slight_smile:
It wasn’t a missing resource in the ressources manager, but rather one ressource too many in my configuration.yaml that shouldn’t be there…
I use the HACS multiple-entity-row card and had installed it via HACS, which added the resources automatically and it looks like I had stupidly added them in addition by hand in the configuration.yaml :see_no_evil:
I had probably taken over part of the configuration that is necessary if you create the dashboards in yaml mode and not in lovelace mode… (i think) and the system recognized that something wasn’t right there…

Regarding the error message itself…
Unfortunately, I don’t find it that meaningful and the term “storage mode” confused me a bit.
Until now I only knew the terms “Lovelace mode” and “yaml mode” and I still don’t know what “storage mode” means.

At least the error message is gone now and everything is still working :slight_smile:

Maybe someone else knows something about “storage mode”?

1 Like

The mode is either YAML or storage. Storage means, that dashboard is configured via the UI. YAML would mean, you have the configuration in a manually edited YAML file.

You can use both together, but iirc then the first dashboard has to be YAML mode. YAML mode also means you have to maintain ressources by yourself under lovelace: in your configuration.yaml or an outsourced file.

See the documentation here for more info:

1 Like

hi @paddy0174
Thanks for the explanation and the linked documentation.
yaml mode is pretty clear…, and analogous to the term storage mode, UI mode and Lovelace mode are also used, but that means all the same!? Hence the confusion :crazy_face:

Since I’m still quite new to Home Assistant and therefore don’t know the history, I’m guessing that initially the dashboards could only be created via yaml and the option via the UI was added later!?

The question I have now, is why both variants of the configuration still exist in parallel and what purpose does it serve?
The documentation describes that customizing the default dashboard is only possible in yaml (if I understand that correctly)… Why is that? Why does the adjustment of the default dashboard differ from the other dashboards?
It’s a little out of topic, but I would appreciate for receiving this explanation for a better understand of dashboards and for the sake of completeness :slight_smile:
Many thanks,

Every version has its audience. :wink: The newer you are to HA, the more UI you will likely use. The more experienced you get, more needs arise for “special things” that aren’t available in the UI. And in the end, it’s comfortable.
If I have a small dashboard to make, with nothing fancy, I use the UI-mode and change little things in the RAW code editor. If things get bigger, it is way easier to work in a local editor like Notepad++. :slight_smile:

And after a few years, you’ll likely get to a point, where you want to gain full control on every pixel in the dashboard, then you use YAML mode for the real fancy stuff. :slight_smile:

Not that I’d know of. What part in the docu makes you think that?

There are two modes, which you can use, YAML or storage (UI). Both are available for every dashboard, including the default. What you can’t do is using the automatically populated dashboard, when you use either mode. Maybe that’s what you mean? The wording in the docu is sometimes “suboptimal”. Just post a quote and we’ll have a look, I might stand corrected. :laughing: :+1:

Hi @paddy0174 and thanks for the explanations.
In fact, it may be that the wording in the documentation is not particularly well chosen.

My statement actually refers to the following passage in the dashboard documentation:

It says "To change the default dashboard, create a new file ui-lovelace.yaml in your configuration directory and add the following section to your configuration.yaml and restart Home Assistant:" and that´s why I meant that this is only possible for the default dashboard.

Ok, I just noticed that my text earlier wasn’t particularly well worded either.
I didn’t mean that personal customization of the default dashboard is only possible via yaml, but rather that only the default dashboard is yaml capable and the others are not (but only UI).

Let’s see if at any time I can get to the point where I want/can take advantage of this freedom of yaml configuration of the dashboards…
But I have to say that I’ve seen some really great things where you couldn’t even tell from the dashboard that HA was running :wink:
That must have been yaml at a high level :slight_smile:

I can see, where this is not very clear, maybe someone finds the time (and nerves) to change that, but in the meantime, we’ll have to live with it. :slight_smile: If you know, how it works, you’ll see the two paragraphs you quoted as seperate, but as I said, I can see, where this goes wrong.

Let’s wrap it up:

• You can configure every dashboard as you want to, in YAML or UI-mode.
  • If you use the default dashboard in YAML mode, you need to maintain your ressources by hand.
  • If you want to use the automatically populated dashboard, you can’t change anything, neither in UI, nor YAML-mode for this dashboard!

Hope, that clears it up just a little. :slight_smile:

Trust me, you will get there. After years of fiddling around with my dashboards, I can tell one thing for sure, you’ll never be “done”, there is always something new, something different, something “I must have” or something that looks nicer… :rofl:

these are the first few dashboards, as you can see, mix and match

1 Like

Hi @paddy0174
Thanks, now I can see the light at the end of the looong tunnel :slight_smile:
Your short and simple explanations helped me a lot to understand.

And now, I have to look for a few interesting examples/tutorials to satisfy my curiosity about a special yaml dasboard experience…:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Many thanks for spending your time and sharing know-how and experience :+1:

1 Like

In general, yes, all ressources are available on all dashboards. :slight_smile: The reason is, internally, all dashboard files will be combined into one biiiiig file, and the ressources need to be at the top, before any content. That’s why the first (the default) dashboard is the one handling the ressources.

I hope not! :rofl:

Then take a look at Mushroom-cards, they will give you some totally different experience. :+1:

1 Like

wowww, one topic with +8000 posts and a second with a lot of inspirations…
thanks for linking that stuff.
Since the mushroom project based on UI, I think it is a good starting point for a better dasboard experience.
Seeing this makes it difficult to imagine how it could be improved further and what is possible with yaml.
It makes the fingers tingle… :sweat_smile:

Just between us: you will come to a point eventually, where you will hate the possibilties offered - because you can’t decide what you really want! :rofl: :rofl: And after that, there is no way out. From that point on, you’re trapped inside Home Assistant and will never, ever get oout again! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Welcome to the loony bin! :laughing: :laughing:

EDIT: There is another project, that was kind of a starting point for Mushroom, UI-Lovelace-Minimalist! There you can configure even more, compared to Mushroom, but it has a steep learning curve and is, imho, not for beginners. You need to know what you’re doing with YAMl. But if you do, with Minimalist you can practically design everything in a HA dashboard… :wink:

1 Like

Lets return to the initial issue at hand. How does one debug and fix this error message:

Hi @ovizii
Not an expert myself…
Did the problem perhaps arise after an update to a new HA version?
Have you already checked the “braking changes” or the “backward-incompatible changes” as they are now called?
Probably one of your integrations is affected and something has changed regarding its configuration in HA.

1 Like