Update breaks Automation and other functions

Hello,
this is my first issue. I hope it is not to weird.

Everytime a update is available, some functions such as automations or some actors arn’t working until i updated everything. Afterwards everything works perfect again.

Is that normal and intended or can someone point me in the right direction to solve this issue?

I searched the forum and had a look into the docs bug couldn’t find such case described.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Kind regards,
Marcel

It really depends on the complexity of your setup. For me, I use a lot of HACS extensions and add-ons so I try to update those before I update HomeAssistant. For example, recently I updated to 2023.8.0 and a very important script in PyScript broke, and updating it wouldn’t fix it. Finally I restored my previous version and updated all my extensions beforehand and it went fine.

Recently there have a been quite a few changes to the the core HA system that have caused me a lot of frustration so it’s understandable that you are wondering how to deal with this stuff.

Most extensions are updated in advance of any major breaking changes so that is why you might be having issues when you upgrade.

Thanks for your answer.
The problem is, that the problems occur before any update ist installed. And it only happens when there are HASS core or OS updates. There are no problems with extensions. It seems like the HASS core wants to force me yo install the latest updates.
And as soon as the updates the component works as before. without any further changes.
Toda a automation for an ESPHome device wasn’t triggered for example. Or sometimes the Zigbee device is unresponsive until newest core and or os is installed.

Sounds more like you have an issue that requires a restart to fix. Like using up all your system memory.

Hmm,
thats indeed a good point i didn’t check right now. It was connected to an available update everytime. But perhaps that’s coincidence. I’ll check memory next time. Bur hence I was able to install the updated and surf through the GUI, I think it has to be something else.

I’m facing the same issue. I’m formed to install the Core Updates if not my automation will fail (even before any updates are done)!

Anybody knows how to fix this?

1 Like