Update firmware on switches/dimmers paired with HomeKit controller

This may be a non-issue for most, but I’m facing the following dilemma with multiple iDevices switches and dimmers: once the devices are removed from HomeKit proper and instead paired with the HomeKit controller, they show up in the Home app with the manufacturer Home Assistant and the associated Home Assistant version. They then show up in the same way in the iDevices app, which no longer identifies them as within its bailiwick, and as such there appears to be no way to update the firmware as new releases come out. Additionally, with the dimmers, there are various customization options that are hard to live without (bulb type, dimmer limits). I realize that this issue is probably very manufacturer-dependent, but has anyone found a way around this issue?

2 Likes

I was hoping to find a solution here as unfortunately I share the same issue, with Leviton…
I realized it might be a bit complicated but it would make sense to me that, when a HomeKit accessory (as “imported” by HomeKit Controller integration) is published by the HomeKit integration, its initial manufacturer, model, serial and firmware would be passed down unmodified.

Guess I’m jumping the gun by a couple of months as the other two posts were made in may of 19 and 20 respectively.

So, March 2021 checking in, still trying to figure out how I want to deal with this. I originally paired w HA because I couldn’t for the life of me get my idevices plugs to pair w native HomeKit.

I wound up pairing them with Homekit proper and automating them in the Home app so that a virtual switch ported over from HA turns on/off with them. For a while HA had a bug where they would only respond to every other power cycle but now it works fine.