"update home assistant nodes" button in Node Red - need advice

Hi,

can anyone point me to the documentation regarding this button:

which when pressed gives this rather gnomic detail:

General questions:

1. Does the button appear because I am using nodes that need updating, or because some nodes need updating regardless of whether they are in use?

2. Do the “nodes with yellow labels” appear as such in the sidebar, or do I need to hunt for them?

3. Why is the update done this way instead of using Palette Manager?

4. (Peace of mind question) to backup my flows, is it sufficient to make copies of:
    flows.json
    flows_cred.json
    settings.js

Many thanks in advance for any help forthcoming!

B.

The nodes get a yellow outline so you need to hunt for them, if you want to do it in steps.
It seems to occur when NR gets updated and the included nodes in the NR packages is then updated too.
It means the palette is updated, but the new version is not in effect before the schema is updated.

I personally just checks if anything important is running. And if not then just let NR update all nodes automatically.

1 Like

Hello! I’m looking for help. Earlier today I experienced this issue: Reddit - Dive into anything

and managed to sort it by restoring a previous snapshot from Node-red. Thank god my backups have worked fine. I’m now running node-red 14.5.0 (latest is 14.6.1) and node-red companion 2.2.0 (latest is 3.0.1).

How can I make sure my nodes are uptadetd to the latest version as per OP input, in order to make sure I don’t end up breaking my system?

thank you!!

Click the three lines in the upper right corner and choose manage palette.
Now fo through the list and click the update button on all of the ones that have one.
Restart the addon in HA and then update to newest version.
The newest version have new HA nodes and here there will usually be a new button in the upper right corner to update all those nodes.
If not then look through your flows for nodes with a yellow outline, open them up and click save.
Check the palette again for new updates.

is the update HA nodes button supposed to go away? i don’t see any updates pending or any nodes with yellow outline but that blue button in node-red is still there.

thank you.

The blue button should disappear and. Message in the top should ask you to restart node red.

Just had this issue. It seems that it will not update “locked” flows, so unlock everything, then click the blue button again.

1 Like

thanks guys everything copacetic now.