Update on the Z-Wave integration · Home Assistant dev docs

Just update HA when the time comes.

Any estimate on time frame?

Other than when it’s ready? I’d expect we’ll see the first sign of it in 0.110 or 0.111, though the existing integration will remain in place too.

1 Like

There is a beta out there and working perfect for me. I am using Cover, Motion-sensor, Dimmer and Door Window sensor.

Does this also work on a synology nas?

A minor question – I’ve tried current built in ZWave integration in HA, the zwave2mqtt add-on, and now this new pre-release yet to become the default integration. While most of my zwave requirements are only for door locks, and I realize this integration doesn’t yet have door locks programmed, I do see my door locks battery level with this new integration through mqtt.

My big question of the day is, 1) how do you add new zwave nodes with this new integration?

As far as I can tell, there is no way to add nodes or secure nodes through any sort of front end. I assume I have to use a CLI directly accessing the docker container. Can someone point me how to add new zwave devices with this integration?

1 Like

the new integration is still under heavy development. A lot functionality is still missing, but on the roadmap. You can expect some “Adminstration” GUI eventually (either integrated directly into HA, or via ozw-admin)

4 Likes

@Fishwaldo thanks for the feedback, and all of your hard work on OpenZWave, since it appears you’re now the main person driving that project. I look forward to the new integration when it’s complete.

Could anyone please shed some light on which components are needed in the current 101 version to make zwave work? In the HA community addon-store there is Z-Wave to MQTT, in the official addon-store there is an Openzwave, and there is the Mosquitto broker. Among the integrations, there appeared the zwave integration, does it have to do anything with the addons at all? I might not be so knowledgeable, but I find it quite confusing. A single guide would be handy how to set it up properly.
Regards,
Gabor

The regular “Z-Wave” integration is the current integration. All it requires is a Z-Wave usb stick connected to your HA system, but it uses an older version of OpenZWave, so some device support is lacking.

The new integration is “OpenZWave (beta)” in the integrations list, and requires ozwdaemon (OpenZWave in the supervisor addon store) and MQTT to be running. The new component currently has limited platform support. Currently limited to binary_sensor, sensor, switch, and basic dimming lights. Climate just got merged in and should be available in .111. Cover, RGB light, lock, and fan support is still in progress as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation! Actually I have an AEON Stick Gen5, two Range exender 6, and a pile of Sensative Strips Comfort for lux measurement. I had it working with a Vera controller, I built some automations around it to control KNX-based rollershutters. It worked fine, but some time ago the Vera controller started acting very strange, at the and now it looks it’s brick. Now I want to move to the AEON USB stick. The regular zwave integration recognised my AEON Stick and also the range extenders, but I have difficulties adding the sensative strips. I’m just wondering if I should do it with the regular setup or move to the new beta? Please advise!

When the new z wave replaces the old system is it still going to require mqtt?

Seems like an additional component to fail will it be integrated directly into HA when it’s released?

Yes it will require MQTT. The whole thing is built around MQTT to decouple OpenZwave from HASS. Has two main benefits: 1) Zwave network stays up when HASS reboots and 2) faster/easier updates to OpenZwave (straight from developer).

When we fully transition to the new platform, will mqtt allow for light transitions? There appears to be some conflicting statements in the documentation. The below chart says it does not, by default, and the written text says it does.

MQTT Light has nothing to do with the zwave integration, totally separate.

Good to know. I’ve read a few comments which stated that light_transition isn’t available over MQTT. Looks like they were wrong or, more likely, I misread the details.

Migrating from Wink-land, using an HZUSB1 (/dev/ttyUSB0 for zwave).

Here are the steps I used based on a the documentation linked from the 0.110.0 release post… Hopefully it’s helpful to others:

Requires: Home Assistant Core 0.110.0+

1. Supervisor -> Add-on Store

• Mosquitto broker
      • Configuration Tab
        • anonymous: true
        • save configuration
      • start
  2. Configuration -> Integrations

• Add/Discovery MQTT
  3. Supervisor -> Add-on Store

• Repositories (3-dots top right)
    • Marcel’s Home Assistant Add-ons section
      • Open Z-Wave Daemon
        • Configuration Tab
          • anonymous: true
          • save configuration
            • zwave_device: /dev/ttyUSB0
          • save configuration
        • start
  4. Configuration -> Integrations

• Add/Discovery OpenZWave (beta)
  5. Developer Tools -> Services

• put my device (Leviton DZPD3 dimmer) in pairing mode (when light is green, hold down 15sec to factory reset; when green again hold for 7sec until flashing amber for pairing)
    • call: ozw.add_node
      • device stops flashing
  6. Configuration -> Devices

• DZPD3-1LW Plug-In Dimming Lamp Module appears

All done!

A couple of questions:

• I seem to have double-added my dimmer before I figured out how this worked. Is a way I can delete the nonfunctioning duplicate (“Delete” button from entity is disabled)?
  • @cgarwood is your add-on a more advanced fork of Marcel’s, trying to understand how it fits together?
  • There is an official OpenZwave add-on in the Add-ons store with recent commits as well, was that for the old 1.4 implementation?

The big picture is not yet super clear for noobs like me approaching this.

EDIT: I just spent a couple of hours trying to get my WD500Z-1 Linear Zwave switch to pair with the OpenZwave beta, I wasn’t successful. I added the older Zwave integration and was able to find it and add it in the older UI in 30 seconds.

Based on the lack of UI with the beta, my advice is for new users to stay clear of this… It’s a bit closer to Alpha atm.

2 Likes

Hi,
I have spent some nights trying to figure this out.
I want to run Mosquitto on a different server, not within HA addon.

I am unable to get Open Z-wave Deamon to start. Mosquitto is running (checked) MQTT integration is pointing to that IP.
When I start OZW deamon addon. I see: [ERROR] No Hass.io mqtt service found!

I tested with mosquitto addon, it starts fine then.
Is the Mosquitto addon obliged instead of selfhosted server? or is this a bug / still being worked on?

kind regards,

PS great work !!! much appreciated !

Did you try adding the external mqtt to home assistant integrations before starting ozw?

@nickrout
If the question is directed at me. Answer: Yes I think so, if that means:
add integration: MQTT > enter IP, User/Login, discovery Yes
Restart, go to development > MQTT > Add # to listen to, and then I see mqtt messages.
Go to integration, install OZW deamon, press start. >> I see this message. “[ERROR] No Hass.io mqtt service found!”. The icon color chages from green to grey again, indicating it has stopped. I can press start again.

I also tried deleting the mqtt integration again, adding mqtt: to the config.

mqtt:
  broker: 192.168.4.13
  port: 1883
  username: user
  password: login
  discovery: true   <tried adding this one as a third attempt. 

all with the same result. OZW daemon does not start with the error message mentioned.

I am wondering if this is intended behaviour.
If it is not, I am happy to create an issue in github, help with logs, test etc. :slight_smile:

Just to add info. If I install mosquitto add-on, install mqtt integration, install ozw-daemon and start it, there is no error message. I starts, and I see node information comming through in mqtt as expected.
If I install Zwave2mqtt, the external mosquitto server is seen as expected.
To make sure I am not the issue here with leftover bitsnbobs, I created a second fresh VM of homeassistant and did the above steps.

It feels to me that something is preventing ozw-daemon to see the external mqtt server.

regards,