Update RPi beyond 9.0rc1 results in non-mountable overlay partition on fast SD card

Hi all,

More than 2 years ago I updated the SD card in my Raspberry Pi 3B to a Kingston 64GB Canvas Go! Plus V30 A2. It worked fine until I tried to update HassOS from 8.5 to 9.0. The web interface never came to life. After some experimentation I found out the following:

• This SD card makes HA boot fine from images 8.5 and 9.0rc1. It fails for 9.0rc2 and 9.0.
  • Another (slower) 32GB Kingston card works fine for all versions.
  • When I connect a HDMI cable and read the boot screen, everything seems to go wrong at the point where it says: “Failed to mount HassOS overlay partition”. In Diskinternals Linux reader I can see that this partition is empty, in contrast to when I burn 8.5 ,when it has a number of folders in it.
  • I tried formatting the card and on my Linux laptop I removed all partitions and re-imaged, but the problem stays the same.
  • I used the 64-bit image, but the result is the same for 32-bit.
  • I tried Balena etcher as well as win32 diskimager; no difference.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone? Yes, I could use the slower SD card or buy a new one taking a chance nothing changes, but since everything runs fine on 8.5, I have the feeling there might be more to it…

Thanks!
Ronan

As follow-up: I bought a new SD card and everything runs fine again. Still a mystery why the old card images and verifies all versions fine, can run 8.5 without a problem but fails to boot with 9.0.