Update to 0.85.1 Broke Hassio

My Hassio configuration was working OK on 0.85.0. I updated to 0.85.1 and now it doesn’t work correctly; more specifically:

• I can access the configuration folder over the network OK.
  • The web interface loads a blue bar across the top, but nothing else.
  • At times, some of the automations work, but not reliably.

I had the SSH add-on configured and am able to log into it. However, any command I enter results in the error code: parse error: Expected string key before ':' at line 1, column 4

As part of my endless searching for a solution, I came across some websites saying it could be from running ResinOS instead of HassOS. I installed the docker image that was available in December 2017, which may have been the ResinOS version (from what I’ve read anyways).

Do I need to re-install the base docker image at this point? Is there an easy way to make a snapshot of the configuration (I haven’t been doing so…). I do save my configuration files on a regular basis, so it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Thanks for any tips or help.

Scott

Just to clarify, you are on HassOS and you restored an image from Resin OS from a year ago? Do you have any recent snap shots of a stable install?

Sorry, I didn’t write that very clearly. I’ve only installed one image, and did so in December 2017 (I think that was Resin OS). Since then, I’ve updated through the web interface and built my configuration files.

I never figured out how to make snap shots, so I don’t have any. I do have copies of my configuration files.

Does that make sense?

Hmm…yes. Having the config files is better than having nothing. However, the updates will update the .py files (system components), so if you have a breaking change, having the only the config files won’t help you solve the issue quickly unless you have a snapshot.

My suggestion is to:

1. save your whole config directory and anything else of value to some other machine or a USB stick.
  2. Not sure if this possible (because I have never tired), but download an older version of HA, preferably the version that matches your system before it started having problems.
  3. Rebuild server using the older version of HA. If you have another PC hardware available, that would be good too.
  4. restore your config files and see it the UI comes up.

The only other alternative (especially if you only have that one hardware to work with) is to go into each of your yaml files and just start commenting everything out and restarting HA. If you can get the UI up after that, then uncomment each component until the UI fails. Then you’ll know what’s crashing your system

Oh! One more thing before you try anything I have already mention. Clear your browser cache. I don’t know how many times this screw me up, but no UI could be a browser problem.

Thanks! I’ll give it a try.