Update Tuya password in integration

So sick of this kind of unsympathetic response. There absolutely should be an in-product migration for breaks in backwards compatibility, not a “oh hey read the fine print, jokes on you” when we’re regularly updating our docker images for security considerations or for other features. Just randomly breaking core integrations is not okay, even if it’s in the “Read Me” which may not be in the path of the actual upgrade mechanism.

HA-- the friendly project that just casually breaks its users every 3 months with very little shown empathy.

5 Likes

Hi Mattie,
I went through the same frustration as you when changing over to new Tuya integration.

From what I have gathered by reading posts on this forum is that the change is because Tuya has decided to discontinue their existing API from December 2021 and are forcing everyone to adapt new cloud based API. So, HA had no option but to create a new integration.

The new integration requires that you create a new project in Tuya IoT for which HA has provided documentation and a good example. I had to delete my local Tuya integration and create a new project in Tuya IoT. After that, I had to add the devices again and redo every automation. Very convoluted procedure and time consuming, but unfortunately, no option.

The only other thing that I learned from my experience was that if your HA is behind a firewall, please make sure that you open TCP port 8883 for outgoing traffic from HA. Otherwise, the device status will not update in HA.

Not sure what else can I say to lessen your frustration, but this issue is all on Tuya. What I am suspecting is that currently Tuya has allowed their APIs to be used for free for one year. In future, they might decide to charge for them.

Hope your migration goes well.

Best regards,
Arun

Obviously Tuya is dumb. It is not Tuya’s fault how HA handled this (and how the community behaves to their own backcompat story), though. Many of us didn’t have an issue until we upgraded HA-- my previous version was working fine! Perhaps it was deprecated or its days were numbered-- but the experience could have worked so much better without having to research down to this thread to find out that a critical integration had broken just by updating. This won’t be the last time this happens with an integration and the HA community could be so much better about this. If we’re going to keep blaming the victims here rather than empathizing and doing our best at the middle tier to make life easier, it really undermines the platform. Yes, Tuya’s decisions are out of their hands, but we need to build something into HA that gives warning (in-app) about upcoming problems and changes that impact integrations we use. HA knows what integrations I use, there’s no reason it can’t be so much smarter about this. It frustrates me when people are just “guess you didn’t read” or “it’s your problem couldn’t be helped” without trying to improve or empathizing with other users.

I guess I have to build my own automated test platform to let me know when something disappears/breaks and then rollback? And then maybe share that with others? Or create a pre-alert notification system which will warn people in the UI or Companion apps when integrations they use will change/break in the next version?

Now for Tuya’s terrible world-- for those who registered with Jinvoo Smart app, prepare for more pain. Looks like they no longer support Jinvoo on Tuya’s IoT site. Now it looks like you have to go remove all your devices from Jinvoo and then re-add to a different Tuya app and then link that one to the one you use for HA… which is dangerously close to being almost as annoying as throwing them away and buying new devices.

1 Like

I totally agree with you about how HA handled this. I upgraded HA at 5:00 AM. Woke up early, just started to play around with HA on my phone. Saw there was an update. Checked the update notes. Tuya is updated: big deal I thought. No warning that every Tuya device will stop working. So, I pressed the update button. Two hours later, devices stopped responding to automation. I am wondering what happened. Had no clue about creating account on Tuya IoT. Trust me, I feel your pain. I cursed HA using the choicest R rated words for breaking an integration so badly. Had I known that Tuya would completely break, I would have deferred upgrade for a couple of more days till I could understand better what is going on.

I think that HA devs should realize and appreciate that end users are so dependent on a platform that they have created that these kind of breakdowns become intolerable very quickly. If my automations don’t work for a day, it is like an eternity for me. I guess everyone feels the same way.

I too had Jinvoo at one time. Had to redo all devices when I moved to Smart Life. I did not see support for Jinvoo on Tuya IoT.

Please let me know if there is any way I can help you with any Tuya migration issue.

4 Likes

I’ve had such difficulty with HA for the past 3 years and stuff like coloured bulbs not being able to change colour without odd tricks (ONLY REBOOT SYSTEM with bulbs ON in colour mode, for the wheel to work) etc

So the last thing I need is to reconfigure stuff.

I literally STILL haven’t done the IOT thing, I’m still pissed at all the work I’m going to have to do, to get back to where I was

This update absoloutely needed a big warning “NOTE significant change! this WILL break some integrations!”

Thankyou, this should be added to the integrations documentation.